Chapter 18

Kathy's POV:

I was outside in the morning sun, enjoying the heat. I leaned back on the car while I waited for everyone to arrive. I decided to leave the hotel first because I wanted to be mentally prepared for Jesse.

My plan was to ignore him like I originally did in the beginning, which seemed to work because I didn't have romantic feelings for the beast then. I'd only disliked him.

I do wonder how my plan will work out because our situation has changed now. It's not what it was three weeks ago when we disliked one another. Well, when I disliked him. Jesse still hates me and wants to prank me in the worst possible way.

Cleo's right. I thought about her theory yesterday night, and it sounded reasonable. My theory of Jesse possibly having romantic feelings for me sounds like a fantasy.

I sighed.

I wish things could be different.

"Kathy!"

I turned around and saw Cleo running towards me.

"Yeah?"

Cleo took deep breaths and had her hands on her knees. "I hate running."

"Are you okay?"

"No! I ran! But that's not why I'm here to complain about! Why did you leave?!"

"I wanted some fresh air."

"And I wanted to speak to you!"

I looked at Cleo with curiosity. "What is it?"

"Yesterday night, after you fell asleep, Zack rang me and asked me the most random question! He asked me—"

My phone vibrated in my pocket, signalling that I had a message. I took my phone out and said, "Let me check this—"

"What are you doing?!" Cleo snatched the phone out of my hand. "I have something really important to tell you!"

"But I have a message."

"Kathy! Listen to me!"

"Okay."

"Zack asked me if you like—"

"Good morning! Would you like to listen to our special new deal at The American Diner?" a woman asked us.

"Sure," I answered.

"No!" Cleo shouted and looked at the woman. "Go away!"

"I'm sorry to have bothered you," the woman said before leaving.

"Cleo! That was rude!"

"She's rude for interrupting me!"

"No—"

"Please let me tell you before the boys come!"

I sighed. "Fine."

"Zack said—"

"What did I say?"

Cleo groaned in frustration and rested her forehead on the car while I looked at Zack and Jesse.

My heart ached at the sight of him. I quickly turned my head and avoided his gaze.

"What's wrong?" Zack asked.

"Nothing. Let's just get in the car," Cleo said, defeated by the situation.

"Cleo?"

"Yeah?"

"You're driving today."

Cleo snapped her head towards Zack. "Wait. I was planning on sitting with Kathy!"