Over You (or not)

"Alex, your voice stayed exactly the same." He chuckled deeply and I immediately understood how Brendon had fallen for him.
"Would it be okay if I were to hug you?" There was that crooked grin again.
"Of course!" He responded, and stuck his arms out welcomingly. My body seemed to magnetize to his, and his chest was warm.
"Thank you so, so, so much. I... I don't know what would have happened..." Tears began streaming down my face once again, and he wrapped his arms around me protectively.
"Shh, it's alright. I did get here and that's what matters, yeah?" he cooed.
I sniffed and looked up at his face. "You also got taller. What are you now?"
"Five feet, eleven inches," He stated proudly.
"Nice. So, why exactly were you out here to begin with?"
He began to speak, then paused. "I, um. I saw the entire thing that went down between you and Brendon. I just wanted to say that that was petty of him, and I wanted to make sure you were okay. I had no intention to cause that. Helena and I had no idea that you two were here- speaking of! You two? Back together?! I did not see that coming!" He narrowed his eyes at me. "Wait. Didn't you cheat on him before?"
Rubbing the back of my neck, I looked at him. "Well, yes, but I've changed a lot. Don't worry about that type of thing anymore."
"Alright, phew. Good to-"
"Alex! Alex, fuck, where are you?" This voice I did recognize. Brendon's.
"Alex, I-" He turned around the corner and saw me. "Who are you with?"
"Ryan." Brendon stopped dead under a streetlight and I watched his face burn bright red.
"Oh," he said in a small voice that seemed to split my heart in half. But it wasn't because he sounded disappointed- he sounded brokenhearted.
"Brendon?"
"Uh-huh, yeah, hi, it's me."
"You look... great."
Although he tried to do it subtly, I watched him quickly wipe a glinting tear from his face. And suddenly he wasn't the only one who was heartbroken.