Chapter 5

🌸 Jaelynn's POV 🌸

The world around me blurred and tripled, no, quadrupled,  as I stomach begged me to let its contents out, but I didn't have enough energy to. A scent of cologne washed over me, and I tried to suppress my gag.

My breath was hitched, which wasn't helping at all. Each breath felt like fire was burning my lungs, but it felt so good to breathe.

My head was pressed against a chest, and I could hear the quick thumping of a heartbeat.

After I was carried, blood and all, all my adrenaline suddenly drained away, and all I was left with was a scratched up body and messed up mind.

"Hang on, Jae." A muffled voice said. The arms around me tightened and I groaned in pain.

"Hey, grab onto me." The same voice commanded. I mustered all my strength, and tightened my hands, which were clenched around my carrier's clothes.

A chuckle resonated deeply in the person's chest, and I winced.

"Not you, Jae." I groaned again.

Wait. Why the heck was this stranger carrying me!? I snapped my eyes open to see his chin and two arms wrapped around his shoulders. I yelped weakly and pushed away from his chest, my arms burning with pain.

"Woah!" The boy yelled.

I tumbled onto the ground and dizzyingly glared at the dark-ish figure in front of me. I guess the blood loss really got to me. "What are you doing? I can walk." I think.

"No, you can't." The boy walked towards me and I stood up shakily, holding out my hands.

"Stop! I can walk, I just told you. Please. Just let me go by myself." The tense figure in front of me relaxed.

"Okay," his voice said hollowly, "but let me take you somewhere."

Without waiting for me to talk, I felt a huge presence ahead of me, and then suddenly, the feeling that all my skin was being sucked into my body. I could've sworn that my eyes popped into my skull for a second. And suddenly, just like that, the pressure disappeared.

"What the-" I murmured. I closed my eyes, trying to banish my nausea, but instead blacked out.

~

I woke up on the ground, the thick roots of trees digging into my back. The leaves above me filtered the sunlight into a dappled pattern onto the ground. I winced at the dull ache in my arms and pulled myself up, heaving for air. Every breath felt heavy, as if the air was syrup.

"Jae!" A voice called over. I turned my head towards the direction of the sound and flinched at the pain that shot down my back. Rayne was sitting not far away from me on the ground, holding a small baggie of small yellowish squares and a cup of thick yellowish liquid.

"What's up with all the yellow?" I asked.

Rayne chuckled and stuck her hand inside the baggie, grabbing a square of the yellow stuff. She handed it to me. "Eat it. It'll make you feel better."

"Tell me, Rayne. How is this," I held up the square, "supposed to make me feel better? It's just a square of whateverness."

Rayne stared at me. "Just eat it."

I examined the object in my hand thoroughly before popping it into my mouth. I chewed it, the flavor of sourness surprising me. It tasted like Sour Patch.

"Ogay. Dis," I pointed towards my mouth, "Ish good."

Warmth that started from my head flowed down all the way to my toes, filling my body with energy and ridding of my pain. My eyes widened. "What is this stuff!? Where'd you get it?"

"Told ya." Rayne smiled. I glared at her. I hated being wrong.

"Hey... Where's... the guy?" I glanced around, suddenly suspicious. Where had Rayne gotten this magical mysterious substance?

"Oh, you mean Nico? He's out looking for food."

My heart sank. So he wasn't just a dream. Sure, he was cute and all, but I seriously didn't like it when people made me feel the way I did when I first saw him. I faked a smile.

"All right, let's set up a camp and impress his when he gets back."

~