six

Charlotte

As I drive home from Harry's, I'm unable to stop my heart from beating so erratically in my chest. The image of Harry smiling down at me after I accepted his request is still etched in my mind, and nothing seems to be able to erase it. I don't understand how his simple invitation is making me feel like such a giddy little school girl. I've been on many dates before, but I had never felt this way before any of them. The truth of the situation sits silently in the back of my mind, mainly because I refuse to think it over. I have only known Harry for a few short hours, but now I was going on a date with him. If this was with any other guy, I know I wouldn't be doing what I am doing now. But everything about Harry is much different than the average boy.

The ringing of my phone is the only thing that snaps me out of my small trance. I press the button on my steering wheel and answer the call without a second thought.

"Hello?"

"Charlotte I've been trying to call you!" My fathers voice blares from the cars speakers. I hiss at the volume and reach for the dashboard to lower it.

"Sorry, I was in the middle of something," I admit shyly, purposely forgetting to tell him about Harry. If I mention anything about my day with him, he'll interrogate both him and I to no end.

"Oh really? Was it more important than your dear old father dying of starvation?" I hear him let out a subtle, yet over exaggerated groan and I sigh. Of course he was calling just to pester me about food again.

"Didn't you buy food at the farmers market? Can't you just make something out of that?" I attempt to give him an idea, solely because I do not feel like making an unnecessary trip to some random fast food place. I hear him start to clamber around in the kitchen, and he lets out a distressed grunt.

"I don't feel like anything healthy Charlotte," I can practically sense the pout in his tone.

"Why did you even buy anything if you knew you weren't going to eat it?" I turn into the first fast food joint that I see after I scold him: In N Out. The only reason I even consider getting him the food is because I know that he will just continue to argue with me until I buy him something.

There's silence on the line for a few short seconds, but then I hear him mutter out a response, "I wanted to feel proud of myself for buying healthy shit okay?"

I instantly roll my eyes at the seriousness in his tone, and park the car. I exhale loudly before speaking, "Sometimes I wonder who the child here really is."

"Oh shut up and just get your dad a burger!"

"Here," I plop the In N Out bag onto the dining table, and throw my keys into the small dish on the counter. The binders under my arm are practically seething in there place, begging to be opened and searched through, but I ignore it. I refuse to open them with my fathers wandering eyes watching over me.

His eyes light up like a small child's on Christmas morning, and it takes him less than five seconds to jump up form his spot on the couch. He hardly even notices my presence before ripping the paper bag open.

"Now this," he clutches onto the dripping burger and pops a french fry into his open mouth, "Is why I love you."

"Ya sure, okay," I brush him off quickly, hoping to escape to my bedroom with Harry's binders in hand. But before I can even take one step down the hallway, my dad lets out a poor imitation of a cough.