This is where my Heart is

I headed out and met up with Jose who was already on his way to meet me. He had learned from his parents where Victor's garage was so we headed there first. Victor was working on a car when we walked up, tinkering under its hood. "I heard you were the man to go to for car trouble." Jose drawled.

Victor didn't look up. "I am."

I said, "Good because my car broke down a half mile back and I need an old amigo to get it running again."

Victor straightened abruptly from shock and banged his head on the hood. "Princesa?"

"Who else knucklehead?"

He laughed and gave us both hugs. "Jose too! Wow, what are you two doing here?"

"We thought we'd drop by and stir up some trouble." Jose replied.

"I can see that," he joked, rubbing his head. "It's so good to see you both. What have you been up to?"

"Well, I write for the Los Angeles paper and Julie here is an elementary school teacher there as well."

"Good for you guys. You both look great. You seem to have gotten even more beautiful over the years Julie. Breaking anymore hearts lately?"

"No, not lately," Both boys chuckled at my answer.

"Have you met with the rest of team yet?"

"No, not yet. You are the first."

"If you hurry, you can catch Damacio and Danny at the Diaz household. They are both there every Wednesday for lunch with the family."

"Thanks Victor." I said gratefully. "Hasta luego."

Jose and I headed over to the Diazs' house and I knocked on the door. Señora Diaz opened it. When she saw us standing there her eyes widened and she let out a delighted cry. We were both nearly strangled by her hug and she kissed our cheeks. "Come in!" We chuckled as we followed her into the house. "Mira quien como venir!" she shouted to her family who were all seated around the long table.

Danny and Damacio both got up to give us their own warm greeting. Like Jose, both boys had cleaned up and no longer looked like the poor, unkempt kids they used to be. Danny had even lost some weight.

"Sit." Señora Diaz commanded. "Eat with the family."

"Oh, no Señora," Jose politely declined. "We only just wanted to drop by and see everyone..."

She gave us that all too familiar look and wagged her finger at us. "Don't tell me no."

"If you insist," I laughed.

"I do. Now sit." Extra chairs were found for us and we squeezed in. We talked and laughed and it felt like old times. I noticed that the team photo Señora Diaz took six years ago was still hanging on the wall. Each family had a copy. Ours was in a frame sitting on a mantelpiece in our living room. Danny noticed me staring.

"My two younger brothers will be running for the team this year." he informed me.

"Will you?" I said happily, looking at them. They nodded eagerly.

"McFarland hasn't won State since you guys." one said. "We hope to this year."

"McFarland was so close last year. Perhaps this year will be your year."

"Of course it will," Señora Diaz said proudly. "Two of my boys are on the team just like last time."

"Imagine that," chuckled Señor Diaz. "If all four of my boys won State," We grinned at the idea.