Chapter Ten

Tyler completely ignored Arabella the next day. She convinced herself not to be sad because it was what she wanted. He mostly walked alone to his classes but sometimes she saw him talking animatedly with Jessica. 

After a mediocre ballet practice, Arabella stopped by the chinese place. Her dad wasn’t home yet, but she went anyways. She knew her food would be ready for her and that the owner would be waiting. She didn’t want to be rude.

Arabella had heard about how some people ate their feelings, like comfort food. She didn’t understand it at all. When Arabella was sad all of her feelings were negative and her body image issues surfaced. Looking at even her side of rice made her feel sick so she gave it all away that week.

When she got home she turned on the TV but she couldn’t get into the show she was watching. Instead, she hopped on the elliptical. She pushed herself until she thought she was going to fall off, then went a little farther. She still didn’t feel like she had burned enough calories, but she didn’t want to hurt herself so she got off. 

She grabbed her laptop and looked up some classical music. None of the songs she had tried for her audition felt right and the days were dwindling. When she turned on a song she would close her eyes and try to picture a dance in her head but nothing was working out.

Arabella was so focused that the door opening startled her. “Arabella, I thought you would be asleep by now” said her dad, dragging in his suitcase.

She looked at the clock and realized it was 11:00pm. “I just got a little wrapped up in something.”

“That’s great” he said, already distracted by his phone and not even bothering to ask what she had been doing. 

“Night” she said and went to bed.

Arabella was exhausted on Friday at school. She hadn’t eaten again the day before because nothing looked appetizing. Auditions were coming up and she needed to lose at least two pounds. It didn’t help that Tyler hadn’t talked to her yet. She reminded herself that was what she wanted.

Third hour history was the worst, though. She did miss the way they used to laugh during the boring lectures. He could make any situation fun.

When it comes to boys...”

“Mooommmm” Arabella whined.

“Really, though, if you ever meet a boy that you can always have fun with...”

her mother’s voice trailed off and Arabella gasped a little. She had never had a flashback in class before. A few people around her gave her a funny look, but soon went back to listening to the teacher drone on.

It was only third hour which meant she would have at least four and a half hours until she got home to the tree. Her hands began to shake.

She hadn’t noticed the one person that was still looking at her funny until he spoke. “Are you...?” Tyler asked quietly, alarmed. He must have recognized it from the previous week.

She was too distracted to do anything but nod. He immediately took action.

“You’re feeling dizzy?” he asked loudly and the whole class turned to look. Arabella hated that. “Can I help her to the office?” he asked the teacher.

Arabella thought she must have looked pretty sick because Mrs. Leonard just nodded. Before she had picked up on what was happening he had grabbed both of their books and was leading her out of the class. Instead of taking her to the office he went straight for his truck. Stunned from the flashback mixed with Tyler actually talking to her, she followed.