Chapter 2

The atmosphere at Hydra Inn changed instantly. Ryeland didn't know how he couldn't sense the enemy outside. Groups of men gathered by the door. He and Erza waited beyond the doors. They were outside the second the stranger disappeared through the Inn's door. The sun rays were beginning to appear in the horizon. The darkness in the forest retreated only to leave the shadows from the trees.

The figure's gloved hand reached for the jewel weapon at her side. Fingers curled tightly around the hilt.

It was astonishing that she had a companion with her when a moment ago she sat alone in the tavern. The person next to her also wore a dark long cloak. Oddly, there was a pair of sunglasses in his hand.

"Be careful," a masculine voice replied. "This is no monster."

Her lithe and cultured voice shocked him. "Maybe not, but it's a lower class demon."

How could someone be calm about fighting a lower class demon? Demons hardly attacked the city boundaries unless it was night since they were more powerful. They harnessed their powers from darkness. Also, the darkness concealed their presence, giving them the advantage to sneak into villages or towns. For demons of any kind to be attacking Magnolia, especially since there were strong wizards present was baffling.

"A lower class demon is still as powerful as one of the strongest monsters."

"But the sun is rising, which means it's power is waning."

"Still, don't underestimate your enemy."

"I know."

He rubbed his eyes as he examined the cloaked figures. The female was small, quite smaller than him. Her head barely touched his chest. She was a few inches shorter than Erza. The male next to her was quite tall and intimidating. He was astonished that her companion was going to stand back and let her battle the demon despite his warning.

Ryeland eyebrows creased. He clenched his hands into fists. He had the urge to gather his magic and help the girl fight the lower class demon. After all, Hydra Inn was his territory and he was in charge of protecting it.

He stepped forward when a hand restrained him. He glanced over his shoulder at the red headed female. She shook her head as her dark eyes never wavered from the battle scene before them. "Don't," she said with a grim expression.

"Why?" he asked, scrunching his eyebrows together.

"It's a test to see if she's worthy enough to join Fairy Tail."

"You got to be joking?"

"No," she responded. The grip on his wrist tightened. "Fairy Tail isn't number one for just any reason. We don't just accept anyone."

"Two years ago that wasn't the case."

"Things have drastically changed the past two years."

He didn't know how to reply so he stayed quiet. Her hold on his wrist was like a shackle. Although he was powerful enough to put up a good fight against her, he didn't want to risk dealing with her wrath. Her wrath knew no boundaries. People didn't call her Titania for nothing.

Instead, he forced his magic to remain in his body, underneath the shell that regular class wizards couldn't detect. This was one of the battles he had to witness. Someone else was going to fight in his stead. But if push comes to shove and the girl was in trouble, he was going to break Erza's hold and take on the demon himself.

For now, he would watch and wait for the right moment to step in.

***

Who would have thought the moment Lucy stepped into Hydra Inn she would attract trouble? Only this wasn't the type she was expecting; bandits, mercenaries or drunk men. No, the demons have tracked her and they were getting desperate if they were willing to attack Magnolia, a city full of tough wizards.

"You don't sense it?" she asked as she walked forward. She could feel the eyes from the spectators behind her.

"Sense what?" her loyal spirit asked her as he strolled beside her with ease and confidence.

She would have looked at her spirit and laugh. Instead, she kept her focus on the enemy. One second of distraction could cost her everything. "There's more of them."

A lumpy form drifted toward her. Black hollow eyes drank in the sight of her. She shivered from the coldness and emptiness in those eyes. Sometimes she regretted learning more about celestial magic. The magic was considered light magic and it's truest form could oppose dark magic. However, light magic attracted dark magic and vice versa. And being in her shoes, that wasn't a good thing.

"Are you sure?"

She would have smirked but she opted to pull her weapon from her side. She never unsheathed her sword. She outstretched her arm, keeping the weapon at a distance. She appeared relaxed, almost lazy like. The calm before the storm. "There's one on my right and two on your left."

There was a moment of silence before she heard a humph.

She couldn't help herself. She had to tease her stoic spirit. "Maybe you're hanging out too much with Aquarius."

"Heck no," Capricorn retorted. "Hell can freeze over and we still won't talk to each other."

"Sooner or later you're going to have give in. You both fight together."

"Correction. You fight with her and I watch."

It was her turn to humph. She could feel his grin.

"Enough of this silly talk. I'll take them all out."

"You sure you can handle four of them? They look tough."

"Now whose underestimating my abilities?"

He lifted his hands. "I'm not saying you can't take them out on your own. We just have an audience."

He didn't have to explain further. Lucy understood what he meant. She wanted to keep her identity a secret as long as possible. If anyone knew she was the fugitive everyone was looking for, then she wouldn't be able to sleep for days.

"Then, I don't have time to play around."

"Yes," he agreed.

"I'll make it quick and painless." He stopped walking and let her continue. Three demons appeared from both directions. The sunlight grew brighter, casting rays through their body and she suppressed a shiver as she noticed their appearance; gel like, see through, gooey and wiggly. They weren't going to be easy to defeat without magic. However, she couldn't afford to show the spectators her type of magic.

The gooey figure in front of her paused as the other three demons closed in on her from the sides. She kept her sword sheathed and limp at her side. Her attack was going to be about evasion, accuracy and power. She only had one shot to hit them at the right angle.

And then it happened quickly. To the untrained eyes, Lucy's moves were a blur. They could only see flashes of darkness. To the two wizards who were watching everything carefully, they saw the demons' snail like movements turn into speed. They were upon Lucy in an instant, lunging at her from both sides. That was their flaw. Lucy dodged their attacks and brought down her sheathed sword on top their heads. The demons slammed into the ground. Their bodies became black goo.

The one in front of her suddenly lunged for her. She flicked her sheathed sword to the side and swiped at the lower class demon. The demon was hurled into a tree trunk. Fallen leaves scattered on the ground.

Capricorn was about to make a finishing move when she raised her hand in a gesture to stop him. "Enough. Let the demon send word to his master."

Lucy was tired of running. Two years was a long time to stay off the radar. Maybe it was time to end it.

Capricorn nodded his head. As if understanding her motive, he moved back to her side. "As you wish my lady."

She smiled at him and then she took a deep breath. "It's time to face the music."

"Indeed it is."

She turned around to see the group of people blocking the entrance of the tavern. In front of the group were two unhappy wizards.