iv - Petal.

This past week that I've been here I've never really taken a moment to watch how beautiful the sunset was. Just like every other day, the sun began to set casting a dimly lit shadow to cascade throughout the entire cabin. The orange-red hue was bright as the light glared through the windows. There was something beautiful about seeing the sight with the large trees of the forest. Normally what would be a blue sky speckled with white clouds was now a mixture of red, orange, pink, and even in some places, yellow. One positive thing about just sitting around, is enjoying the view. To just observe and feel for only a minute what it would be like to be free. But then the harsh reality surfaces diminishing those thoughts, remembering that blood covered flesh eating dead (what used to be) humans are out to get you. Fantastic.

     Lark had lit the fireplace about an hour ago, but thought it was would be wise to cut the source of our heating because we wouldn't want to attract any unwanted guests; walkers and humans. The burnt wood which began to chip away into charcoal still had a warm presence, even though Harry had lent me a large jacket to keep me warm.

     "Is it weird that I don't miss electricity?" Harry asks as he uncrossed his legs to stretch his muscles.

     "Yes," Lark replies and began shaking his head.

     "No, I mean," he stammered and thought for a moment before explaining his point. "It would be nice to have a thermostat, a fridge, or light. But I definitely won't miss all the social devices and shit. It's so much easier, just sitting around a fireplace with your mates and talking. No phones in the way, no bloody social media notifications. It's so quiet, and I love it."

     "How high are you?" Ash spoke this time, taking a sip of what seemed to be hot cocoa that he made over the fireplace.

     "Maybe that's the problem. It's been ages since I've been."

     My head turned towards both boys, then to Savannah. She seemed to be nodding her head with a small smile on her lips. I was definitely out of this conversation, and very confused. Her focus turned to me as he smile became wider. "Poor old Jordyn has no clue as to what's goin' on."

     "Yeah, care to share?"

     "It's nothing. Just used to be reckless teenagers," Harry says, not adding to his statement. I puffed and rolled my eyes, resting my head in my hands.

     "More than reckless, man. You'd constantly be waaaay off your face, bingeing and stuff. This idiot used to be the epitome of fun, but now he's old and boring and just... eugh," Lark shivered and continued to shake his head, it was hard to tell if he had been joking or not but with the smile that Harry had I knew it was a little bit of both.

     "I'm not old, or boring," Harry defended himself, then just simply shrugged, laying down onto the floor with his arms crossed underneath his head as a makeshift pillow. "We used to always be the centre of attention, people used to look up to us. We got into so much crap... But Hell, we threw the best parties. Had the most fun. Those were the days, man."

     I stared at the three boys in amusement, once being completely impetuous and now fighting for their lives and ensuring that they're all safe. It's such a turn of events, nobody in the world is ever prepared for some doomsday. And even those who are aware of the dangers the future holds, no way are they equipped and ready. There's one thing to have your mind set to something, but once you're actually handling the dramatic situation first hand then it's a completely different story and not what you would be expecting.

     "You know what, I have an idea." Lark exclaimed, standing from his position and almost sprinting away from the rest of us. I turned to Harry but all he did was shrug and mutter 'idiot's always full of surprises'.