ix - Commination.

The film ended, leaving me staring at the television with wide eyes. It's not that the film itself was scary; it's just horrible knowing that the outcome was death in the end. Where there's a beginning, there's an end. Eventually all things would end, all life would die, everything would cease to exist. It's the system. We came into this world only to achieve small things, yet die in conclusion. But it makes me think, how boring would eternal life be? Yet the technicality of eternal life is almost like a reality now, where the dead are walking and are very much alive — although they're just missing a conscience and are consciously unconscious of what they're doing...

It makes no sense and the thought irks my mind, but it's almost like sleepwalking. Your body is working in its own accordance whereas the mind is unaware. Walkers are just dead people sleepwalking. That theory sure as Hell won't allow me to sleep better.

"So they died?" Savannah asks, seeing as it was her first time watching the movie.

"Well I mean, by the way the place was falling apart I'm gonna assume that they got crushed by a huge slab of concrete," Lark shrugs with a yawn.

We missed out on chocolate mousse, since it wasn't set yet. Savannah assured me it would be ready for tomorrow, and if we're lucky enough we could have it for breakfast.

"Well, I think it's time we all hit the sack," Harry says, leaning forward to stretch his back. "Ash, could you —"

"Turn the generator off, no worries."

He stood quickly with Savannah, politely asking her if she could wait for him in their bed and promising that he would only be a minute. Even though the shed was seconds away from the cabin she made sure he kept himself safe.

"Ready for bed?" Harry asks me.

I yawned. "Yeah, definitely."

-

I was startled awake by muffled voices nearby. It wasn't from outside, but inside the cabin. I groaned at the disarray which caused my awakening. It had been a long day, yet chatter is keeping me up.

"Harry?" I groaned and reached over to smack my arm on his bed, but felt nothing but the mattress itself. I peaked from my position, confirming my suspicion; Harry isn't in bed. The wooden tiles were cold underneath my bare feet as I slowly walked towards the door. The muffling became clearer as I neared the door, pressing my ear against it.

"She's not coming back." I recognised the voice as Lark's, lost and vulnerable. I knew by the sound of his voice and sniffles he was crying again, and it warmed my heart that Harry had woken up to comfort his friend. "Just like that. Gone."

"She wouldn't want you like this, you know? Blaming yourself for something that isn't your fault."

"I could have pulled her up—"

"But she didn't want you to, Lark. Her attitude towards how the world was, wasn't healthy. She always talked about dying, and I know how much that made you uncomfortable. Lark... it was a long time coming. She didn't want to live in a place like this."

I pressed my palm against the door so I was able to hear more of what they were saying. I didn't want to eavesdrop, but I couldn't stop my curious mind from wanting to.

"She was always so playful, so fun to be around. I wanted to give her the world, but looking at what we live in now, I think that would be considered as an insult."

Harry chuckled softly. "A big one at that. But her feelings were mutual, I can promise you that."

"Her tree, it's dying."