Best Friends

"Drew!" Shane calls in excitement, running up to his best friend and hugging him.

"Shane." Drew smiles. "What did you get for lunch?" He asks, cuddling a handmade bear between them.

When they stop hugging, Drew giggles, picking a daisy and putting it in Shane's hair. They both giggle, pressing their noses together childishly before breaking apart.

"They didn't have anything so I just made some sandwiches, just how I know you like them." Shane smiles, unpacking his picnic basket.

Drew's eyes lighten up at the sight of food and he reaches out to grab it.

Shane laughs at his enthusiasm and helps himself to some as well. "I saw you heading to Jack's Office this morning. What did he want to talk to you about?" Shane asks, chewing with his mouth open.

Drew slumps his shoulders a little, looking at his little bear. "He just wanted to talk to me about joining a family."

Shane frowns a little at the sound of this. "R-really?" He tries not to sound disheartened.

"I told him that I wouldn't do it. Someone needs to look after my Timid." Drew smiles, punching Shane's arm reassuringly.

He smiles bashfully. "Thanks, you had me worried there."

"I don't care what happens, I am never leaving you." Drew tells his friend honestly.

"I can't expect you to stay here just because of me. If a family wants to adopt you, you shouldn't stay here because of me." Shane tries.

"Don't say that, Shane. If a family are going to adopt me, they'd better adopt you as well. I'm never leaving you." Drew explains.

Shane smiles awkwardly. "Who in their right mind would adopt me?"

"What are you saying? You're smart, charming and the kindest kid in this place. Who in their right mind wouldn't adopt you?" Drew points out.

"Everyone apparently." Shane murmurs.

Drew gives his friend a pleading look for a moment. Shane pretends not to notice it so that he doesn't upset Drew even more.

"Let's forget about that, good sandwiches." Drew tries to change the subject.

"Thanks." Shane murmurs.

Drew frowns before pulling his friend into a hug. Shane smiles at his touch and wraps his arms around Drew.

"I'll never leave you, Shane." Drew whispers to Shane.

"Me neither, I promise." Shane whispers back.