One Last Goodbye

The next morning, Drew stares at his packed bags, slumped on his bed hopelessly.

Even though he originally thought he'd cried his eyes out yesterday, he can feel a lump forming in his throat. He shakes his head with a sharp sniff, looking at the clock to see that Shane would probably be up by now.

Needing just a few minutes with his Timid and best friend, he leaves the room to head to Shane's.

When he gets there, he knocks gently. To his surprise, he doesn't get an answer so he tries opening the door, clinging tightly to the handle.

Drew pushes the door open slowly, peering around to see Shane lying on his bed, staring at the other wall.

"Shane?" Drew whispers, worried that he had woken his friend.

When he doesn't receive an answer, he internally debates whether he should enter or not.

A hopeless sigh from Shane alerts Drew that he is actually awake.

"Can I come in?" Drew almost croaks. "... Please?"

Shane turns in his bed, his face still a tearstained picture. "P-please do." He meekly manages.

Drew nods, closing the door behind him. "I c-can't do it. I can't leave you." He sobs, instantly diving into Shane's arms.

"I don't want you to go." Shane shakily manages.

"I can run away, or beg them to adopt you! I just need you." Drew admits.

Shane tries to smile as he shakes his head. "Who's going to look after the puppy?"

Drew goes quiet for a moment. "I need you." He whines.

"I know, me too." Shane sniffs. "I don't know what I'd do without you." He whimpers.

"No, I can't even think of life without you!" Drew weeps. "I c-can't leave if you're not coming with me."

Shane's grip on Drew tightens with another wretched sob. "Please d-don't forget me." He tries.

"I promise, never! I can never forget you!" Drew cries. "I'll write letters every day, even if they don't let me send them!"

"I'll return all of your letters, I promise. I'll m-miss you so much Drew." Shane cries.

"I'll miss you so much too. Oh God, it hurts too much to do this, I c-can't leave you! Shane, I don't want to go!" Drew weeps.

"Drew!" Jack's voice rings out through the orphanage.

Drew's sobs grow more desperate and pained as he clings tightly to Shane. "No, I don't wanna go!" He weeps. "Shane, please don't let them take me! I c-can't... p-please... n-no..."

Jack figures out where Drew is hiding and enters Shane's room to get Drew to his new family.

Shane clings desperately to Drew to calm him down when he starts screaming frantically, crying and begging the man to let him stay.

Both of their efforts are useless as Jack succeeds in pulling Drew out of Shane's grip.

"N-no! DREW! NO!" Shane screams.

"SHANE! HELP ME PLEASE! DON'T LEAVE ME! DON'T LET THEM TAKE ME!" Drew begs, also screaming and crying.

Jack uses the fact that Shane's not even dressed to drag Drew out of the room.

Drew does everything he can to slow them down so that he can see Shane just one more time but Jack simply locks the door to Shane's room between them.

Shane realises this and starts slamming his fists against the door in the desperate hope of breaking it down. This doesn't work and he only hears Drew's screams of his name getting quieter by the second. Shane's desperation reaches its climax as he resorts to screaming Drew's name in return, just hoping that if he's loud enough Drew's new family will hear him and let his best friend stay.

Unfortunately, by the time Drew's screams have faded completely out, it finally hits Shane that he might never see his friend again. No matter how hard he tries to keep yelling and screaming Drew's name, it all breaks down in heartbroken sobs.