7

Life in the Cushing-McMichael house is comfortable and lively Christmas of 1918. The war is over. Eliot, fascinated by the rows of soldiers marching through the streets in celebration, has asked for tin soldiers. He is 13 and wants to be a hero, just like the doughboys. Edith has gently tried to dissuade him, but to no avail. So there are tin soldiers in his stocking come Christmas morning.

Charlotte, a beautiful, bold girl of 16, has only one thing she wants for Christmas and she knows it isn't something she can get in a stocking. She wants the boys to stop following her on the way home from school. They don't frighten her, but they do irritate her, and if there is any one thing that Charlotte despises, it is being irritated by someone else's inconsiderate actions. Her stocking contains a hair stick shaped like a sword that she twists up in to her bun as soon as she sees it. She likes the idea of being a bit menacing. Ever since she pummeled the boy who touched her rear while she crossed the street in front of the school, she has had a reputation for being wild, and she quite likes it. Her father has encouraged it, to some degree, and taught her how to fight.

Edith sits with the children while Alan makes breakfast. She does not know how many more of these holidays she will have with both of them. Charlotte is nearly old enough to set out on her own and soon there will be further studies at a university and weeks away from home at a time. There is a mischief, a curiosity, about the girl that reminds her of Thomas- of the moments he was working on his mining machine, the head of steam building with this enthusiasm and his laughter when something worked. She laughs like him, too. There is a pure joy of discovery that she basks in and seeks out. There are days when Edith wonders if Charlotte will set out for the far reaches of the world some day, never to return.

There is a pile of post on the end table that she has neglected over the celebrations of Christmas. She absentmindedly sifts through it. There are a few holiday cards, a note from Alan's mother that he has already read once, and one from Mr Ferguson. She opens this one.

Mrs McMichael,

I have been contacted by The British Clay Mining Corporation. They are interested in purchasing Allerdale Hall. The contract they have proposed is enclosed, along with my proposals to make the deal more favourable to you. I would recommend travel to England to assure that their interest is legitimate.

Best wishes for the holidays.

She looks over the other documents and then tucks them back into the envelope. There will be time for business later. Alan calls from the kitchen that there are latkes ready and Eliot cheers, abandoning his soldiers. Charlotte laughs and chases after him.

"Coming, Edith?"

"In a moment."

"You'd best be quick or there won't be any left!"

She sets the envelope on the endtable, "Well, Thomas, I hope you're resting well and there are no more secrets in the clay."

Once the room is empty, Thomas slips the letter from the table and reads over the documents. Mining. His clay. He smiles and shakes his head. Someone is interested in making Edith rich beyond measure, the family cared for long into the future. He was right. His clay was good. And this is the best Christmas present he could have hoped for.

A few days later, Edith writes back to Mr Ferguson to enter negotiations for the sale of Allerdale Hall.

They are ready to sign papers in the spring and Edith prepares to return to England. Alan closes his practice for Easter week and beyond and they set sail. The weather worries him- steamship travel has seemed less safe since 1912. But the weather is clear and there are no icebergs. They land in Southampton and travel by train to London. Mr Ferguson is waiting for them there. Alan takes the children to the British Library and the museums while Edith prepares paperwork. The mine company solicitor asks to meet at Allerdale Hall to discuss the house and property. Edith hesitates, but because she does not want to hold up the sale, she agrees to briefly meet there and then to conduct business in the nearby village.