19

July 4, 1944. The family gathers to celebrate the Fourth on Belle Isle. After, Maria, her parents, May, and Richard return to the farm while Charlotte, Harold, Anne, and Dexter go home to Brush Park with Edith and Alan.

Two days later, Edith knows something is very wrong. She can't sleep. Alan is worried. He asks if it is Eliot. She fears that it is. She visits Charlotte's room in the middle of the night. She feels it, too.

Thomas has been watching them since leaving Saipan. He does not want to break the news to the family, but when Edith asks for him in the wee hours of the morning as she sits by the fireside, he appears.

"I don't want to know...not yet. But tell me, is this fear founded?"

"I am so sorry. Yes."

"Oh god..."

"Edith, please, let me-"

"No."

"But I saw-"

"NO."

"You do not yet want to believe it."

"Yes."

He sighs, his heart heavy, eyes downcast, "Be ready, though."

"I will. I would like to be alone."

Thomas fades. He watches Charlotte for a few moments, knowing that whenever word arrives, her world will shatter. He then goes to the farm to peer in on Maria and the children. They are blissfully unaware of what has happened, though Maria feels that something is wrong. She brushes it off, though- her husband is at war, something is always wrong.

It takes a few months for the telegram to arrive, but when it does, the world ends. Maria does not need to open the envelope to know what it says. She drops to the kitchen floor and screams. Her mother rushes in, frantic, but she cannot get her daughter to speak. Her father sees the envelope in her hand and knows what has happened. He gently pries it from her fingers and opens it.

Deeply regret to inform you that your husband, Hospital Corpsman 1st Class Eliot C C McMichael USN was killed in action in performance of his duty and service to his country. No information available at present as to disposition of remains. Temporary burial in locality where death occurred probable. You will be promptly furnished any additional information received. To prevent possible aid to our enemies do not divulge the name of his ship or station. Please accept my heartfelt sympathy. Letter follows.

He sets the letter on the counter.

May hears her mother's anguished wails and knows what has happened. She finds Richard playing in their room.

"I think Dad's dead."

Richard drops his airplane, "Why?"

"Mom's screaming in the kitchen."

"Maybe she got hurt."

"Not that kind of screaming. This is bad, Rich. Really bad."

Thomas is ready to appear to the children for the first time as a comfort when their grandfather enters and sits down with them, "It is, May. Your dad...the war got him. He's gone." Richard disolves into tears. May stares at the floor, her heart sinking. "I'm going to go tell your Grandma Edith in person. This isn't the kind of thing you say over the telephone."

"I want to come, too."

"Are you sure, May?"

"Yes."

"You're awfully calm about this."

"I've had a feeling something was wrong since July. I thought it might have happened. I'll cry later. There are things we have to do now."