Chapter 33: Hotline Bling

I sighed happily whilst popping a cube of sharp cheddar cheese into my mouth. My school day was finally over, and I didn't miss a beat with Nina M.I.A.

I mindlessly flipped through my science textbook, scanning through stuff I had already taught myself the summer before. If I was being honest, every year was a drag because the teachers would dumb down simple concepts to accommodate with this reckless generation. Why couldn't they just move me a grade ahead already?

I received one notification from my phone, then another, and another, and another until an ever growing list of Instagram usernames flooded my vision. I smiled. I was beginning to win back the hearts of my fellow comrades. My heart fluttered as I looked at the wonderful comments on my latest post. I don't know why, but receiving online compliments sometimes made me happier than real people.

I sent a direct message to this cute guy who was literally begging for me to give him a follow back. Carmen unlocked the front door and let herself in just as a new message popped on my screen from the mystery dude.

Now that we've got that out of the way, I would be honored if you could make it to my house for an interesting Netflix and chill session ;)

I giggled and replied with a classic line:

In your dreams bad boy >:)

"Ooh. Online stalking I see," Carmen startled me.

I quickly locked my phone before saying, "My parents didn't let me online for weeks, so I need to keep up my game."

She chuckled before plopping down beside me on the couch. "I see that you've got a head start on your homework... Nothing you couldn't handle, right?"

"Nah. This work is so easy it seems like I never missed a day of school."

"So has Barbara given you any updates? We've done our part, so I'm ready to take the next step."

"Haven't heard a peep from the lady. But we can always call her up..."

I dialed the oldie's number and waited her to pick up. After a minute or two she finally answered.

"Hello? Jasmine, why are you calling?"

"Well we successfully showed that evil psycho who runs the show, and would like to get a move on with this brilliant plan of yours," I announced.

"Yeah, well the best thing you two can do is wait. We'll need a lunar event to occur, which will be the full moon this Sunday, so that we can harness its power and get your powers back. Spells like this require a strong connection to the magical realm," the woman concludes.

"Do you have any other suggestions of what we should do to prepare for the attack?" my friend piped up, "In this day and age we don't have the patience to be a damsel in distress, always waiting for someone to help us."

"Well I don't know what to tell you. Jasmine, you've put me on speaker phone, haven't you? Get me off! Someone might overhear us!"

I sighed. "Really? Who could possibly be eavesdropping in this house besides us two? The rest of my family is out and about, doing whatever."

"Listen, I don't care what you two do as long as it doesn't involve me! Go outside and play or stay on those little Cancerous devices all you please, just stick to the plan," Barbara grimaced. "I'm sure you have plenty of schoolwork calling."