Chapter 5

7/21/2019: Updated to the published version.

July 5, 2038 – East Texas

Leah was woken with a kiss. Her eyes flew open, and James was smiling down at her. He was sitting on the bed next to her, leaning over her with his arm at her other side. "Good morning, love."

She frowned at him, hating his endearments. It didn't seem to bother him. He was nothing if not persistent.

He kept smiling. "Not a morning person? That's okay. You can wear your jeans today. I'm taking you home."

She looked at him skeptically. "You're letting me go?"

He gave her a look that questioned either her sanity or intelligence. "I'm taking you to your new home."

She frowned. "Where will I live?"

"With me."

She sat up defiantly. "I won't!"

He gave her that look again and remained calm. "You will."

"Dale said new women are set up in houses by themselves."

"You're special." He kissed her quickly before she could turn her head, just a peck. He stood up and got her clean clothes out of her pack. He waited until she got up, which she did, but not happily. He gave her the clothes and sent her off to the bathroom.

They had breakfast before they left and then took the truck. The bikes were gone, she noted. She didn't speak to him along the way but kept looking around. He pulled into the driveway of a little blue cottage with a front porch. She thought that was promising, houses didn't usually lock the occupants in.

James picked up her pack from the back of the truck and opened her door. She just sat there for a moment, thinking about whether to fight him or not. She had to pick her battles.

He smiled. "You know I don't mind carrying you. I'll take any excuse I can to touch you."

She frowned but did get out of the truck. He took her inside and showed her around. The room they entered was clearly a living room with a sofa, two upholstered chairs, a large flat screen television that hung on the wall, and six bookshelves containing DVDs and books of all sizes. Unnecessarily, he said, "The living room." It looked like he read a great deal.

Pulling her hand, he brought her into the next room. "Combination kitchen and dining room." The room was large and airy with plenty of counter space and cabinets. It was much less cramped than her shelter kitchen. A dark wood table with six chairs sat on the other side of the room.

He pulled her back out and down a short hall. Opening the first door on the right, he said, "Bathroom." She peered in and saw light blue walls, a vanity with a sink, mirror, and shelves above it, a deep bath with a shower head on a long hose, the toilet, and some wooden cabinets.

Tugging her across the hall, he opened a door and went through with her. "Our bedroom." The walls were cream colored. A dark blue comforter lay over the queen-sized bed. Wooden end tables with lamps were set at each end. He put her pack down on the big bed.

She immediately picked it back up, exited the room, and opened another door across the hall. It was another bedroom with a small twin bed. She put her pack in the closet of that room. When she turned around, he was standing in the doorway with his arms crossed over his chest, giving her that look.

She straightened her back and said, calmly but firmly, "I am not sleeping in the same room or bed with you, James. I don't trust you. I have to pick my battles with you. I'm choosing this one."