Chapter 4

7/21/2019: Updated to the published version.

James carried Leah's limp form to the scanner himself. He joined Doc in the control room, and whenever she needed to be moved, he did it himself. When the scans were complete, he brought her back to her room and laid her in the bed. He tucked her in and sat beside her.

Doc came in later and told James the good news. "She's in very good health overall. I didn't find anything wrong on the scans, but we still need to do a gynecological exam."

"Why?"

"We need to get a PAP smear. It's the best way to detect abnormal cells, which are the first sign of cervical cancer. Might be best to do it while she's out."

James thought about it. "Can't it wait if it's just about early detection? I just mean like a few weeks."

Doc nodded. "I suppose, but it's quick, and if she's going to fight it, I'd rather do it with her unconscious."

"Won't she know?"

"She'd probably feel a little sore, yeah."

James shook his head. "Then, no. She'd feel violated. It would take me ten times as long as it's already going to take before she lets me touch her. I want her to trust me."

Doc nodded.

After a moment, James added, "Besides, won't the exam be easier for her if she's been sexually active for a while?"

"It will. It may have hurt her before because she was unaccustomed to being stretched open."

James smiled. "I can fix that."

Doc laughed.

James thought of something else. "Can you tell from the scans if she is a virgin?"

"No." Doc smiled. "Just treat her like one regardless."

James nodded and smiled. He stayed by Leah's side and read a book until she woke up a couple of hours later. He heard her groan and was instantly by her side again.

* * * *

Leah opened her eyes, feeling very groggy. She looked up at James and frowned. She mentally checked through her body, sensing if there were any indications that they had done anything to her. It was a great relief not to feel any soreness, especially between her legs.

James smiled down at her and brushed his fingers through her hair. "Feeling okay?"

She answered, "I feel drunk," croaking through her parched throat.

James got her some water, which she drank down greedily. He refilled it again. "I'll get Doc and some dinner for you."

"I'm not hungry," she said as he left the room, but he didn't acknowledge it.

He returned with Doc about fifteen minutes later and laid a tray on a table, which he then pushed over her lap. He raised the back of the bed so she could sit up. He took the cover off the tray, and she looked at it. It was steak, potatoes, and broccoli. It looked good, but she wasn't hungry. She was too nervous, worried that they had found the Depo Prevera in her system. She looked at Doc.

Doc smiled at her. "You are in good health generally, Leah. I found nothing to worry about, but you need to gain weight. I believe your low body fat is to blame for your lack of periods. This was common among female athletes like gymnasts before the plague. Have you always been so thin?"

She nodded.

"And you've been exercising a lot, doing manual labor?"

She nodded again.