Chapter One

"Louis."

I could hear the heavy sigh leave my teacher’s mouth before she even spoke my name. I look up past my glasses placed on the tip of my nose.

"Yes Ms. Peters?"

"Why aren’t you outside playing football with the other boys?"

It was my turn to sigh. Whenever we had free time, the boys in the class would go outside and play football while I stayed inside with the girls but I sat alone. I shrug my shoulders avoiding looking into her eyes. I continue coloring in one of the coloring books placed around the table as I watch Ms. Peters walk back to her desk, take a seat and start working on her papers.

"I don’t see what the big deal is if you don’t play football." a quiet voice speaks.

I look up and I’m greeted with a soft smile.

"I’m Sophia."

Sophia had her brown hair pulled into two pigtails on each side of her head. Blue ribbons that matched her dress tied each pigtail tightly. Her brown eyes sparkled when she smiled up at me.

"I’m Louis."

I’ve always been too shy to speak to a stranger so I surprised myself with finding the courage to speak.

“Do you have any friends?"

Her voice was soft and calming. I look at my hands placed in my lap and shake my head lightly. Her small hand reached for mine as she pulled me to the play area.

“I'll be your friend.”

Her smile was big and soothing as her brown eyes sparkled.

“I'll be your best friend.”

That was in kindergarten, fifteen years ago, and she's still my best friend. Sophia and I did absolutely everything together. Her mother grew fond of me after I constantly visited her house. She spoke to Sophia quietly one night in the kitchen.

“He's different.” her mother's voice wasn't rough, it was soft – almost in awe.

“I know, Mum.”

“That's what I like about him. He isn't like every other boy out there. He isn't trying to sleep with you.”

“Mum! He's my best friend! He would never!”

Sophia's voice was rough and snappy. I knew she didn't want me hearing the conversation she was having with her mother – but I was listening. I didn't understand what her mother meant by “different.” Did she mean different on how I try not to stare at the boys changing in the locker room or how I watch the players on the team in shorts or tights instead of the cheerleaders. Is that what she meant by different?

“Mother!” I hear Sophia gasp.

I tone back in on the conversation because something must've been wrong – Sophia never calls her “Mother.”

“I'm just saying honey, maybe he is gay.”

“So what if he is gay? That's his personal information.”

“I'm just questioning his sexuality, sweetheart.”

“Questioning his sexuality? Since when was he an experiment? Since when was he something you could question like it's for Science? He's a person mum – he's a human being.”

“There is nothing wrong with being gay. Don't you question his sexuality yourself?”

“Maybe I have, maybe I haven't.”

I could tell by Sophia's voice that she has been questioning my sexuality. Maybe I've been questioning it myself. Maybe her mother was right – maybe I am gay and according to her, there's nothing wrong with it. Later that year, Sophia started dating her current boyfriend Niall Horan. Since Sophia's talk with her mother that I wasn't suppose to hear, I questioned myself whether or not I was gay. I soon realized that I wanted to kiss boys and not girls. I wanted to hold hands and cuddle with boys and not girls. So about three months after I started questioning myself, I came out. Surprisingly, my family were very supportive – even my mother's boyfriend Dan. However, people at school weren't. I was constantly bullied by my peers because of my sexuality. The boys in locker rooms weren't too keen on having a gay guy staring at them while they changed. I promised I wouldn't but the coach wouldn't allow it. I was forced to change in the bathroom and wait until everyone was finished before I was allowed out. It was pure torture in Sophia's eyes. Niall stood up for me along side Sophia but I knew I was starting to become a third wheel. I've had no other friends besides Sophia since kindergarten so I forced myself to make new ones – I had no luck. I was bullied even more to the point where I wanted to leave – so I did. After high school, Sophia and I packed up and left Doncaster and moved to London. We bought and shared a flat not that far from campus. Both our families didn't mind us living together and neither did Niall – though I demanded he move in with us. That was my senior year of high school and I was now in my second year at uni with Sophia was still by my side. I still needed to make new friends, but I was having a tough time doing so. I was afraid to open up to anyone fearing I'd have the same outcome as in high school. I only opened up to a lady that worked at Cappuccino Heaven, a little coffee shop, where I was now currently working. I told her straight out the I was gay during my interview for the job.

“I'm gay.”

I saw the look of surprise wash across the interviewer's face. Her name was Bonnie and she was about in her late forties early fifties and her brown hair was spotting gray.

“Oh sweetheart, you didn't have to tell me.”

Her voice reminded me of Sophia's mother telling Sophia that it was alright to be gay.

“I wanted you to know. I normally don't tell people I'm gay.”

“Fear of being judged?”

I nod but add, “Fear of being bullied again.”

She reaches for my hand and runs her fingers across my knuckles sympathetically.

“No one's going to bully you here, dear. I promise you that and if anyone does, you tell me alright? I'll take care of them.”

I giggle softly sighing at her touch.

“But another thing, I'm pleased to announce you got the job.”

I look up and smile brightly. Bonnie became one of my good friends at the coffee shop. All the other girls, Ruby, Peggy, and Wendy became friendly with me too – but I was more close with Bonnie. They were the older women working at the shop. They all were in their late forties, early fifties and all spotting gray hair. Except for Ruby, she was seventy and her hair was completely gray. She enjoyed pinching my cheeks every time she saw me. After I started working at the shop, they hired a few kids in their twenties saying “We need younger staff so the younger group come in.” They hired Sheila and Ethan who were both twenty-three. They brought along their 'unemployed just out of college' group. Since the group were our regular Friday night bunch, the shop started it's Friday Open Mic Night.

“You're free to go, Louis!"

“Alright! Bye Bonnie!"

“Bye sweetie!"

I race on foot home to the flat. The mail was still in the box behind the front desk – indicating either Sophia wasn't home or she forgot. I walk up the stairs to the third floor pulling out my keys opening the door and walking into a dark flat. Sophia wasn't home. There was no dinner sitting on the stove. She never came home after work today. I rummage through the fridge and find leftover Chinese food. I sigh. As it heats up in the microwave, I catch a glimpse of the blinking light on the answering machine. I press the 'call' button and it calls our voice mail.

“One New Message: Hey Lou! Sorry but I'm not going to be home tonight. Niall is taking me out. I'll probably be home tomorrow after work. I'm sorry! Call me if you need anything! I love you! Bye!” and the voice mail ends.

I sigh taking my dinner out of the microwave and into the living room. I turn on the telly and watch pointless shows while I eat my dinner alone. When I had enough I throw away what's ever leftover and walk to my bedroom where I curl into bed and listen to the sounds of the city.