Chapter Four

"Soph, I don't know what to do. I barely know the kid and he makes my insides all wonky."

"How wonky?"

"Willy Wonky."

Sophia giggles from against the headboard of my bed.

"He's probably not even gay. He's too attractive to be gay." I sigh in frustration and run my fingers through my hair.

"Louis, most men that are gay are attractive. I mean look at you."

"Niall's not gay."

"Yes well I'm lucky for that."

This time we both burst into giggles. I've always been able to have these deep conversations with Sophia since I came out - and even before then. She just understands me and my perspective on situations.

"Talk to him."

"We have talked."

"Yeah a two minute conversation exchanging your names. That's not talking Louis." she cocks a grin. "Have a real conversation with the kid. One that lasts a few hours. Get to know him."

"I don't know..." I trail off.

"Don't make me come down there."

She tries to act tough and serious but fails because she can't hide the grin that's written on her face. We both burst out laughing until our sides hurt. It was just like old times, when I didn't know that I was gay and that I didn't care about what people thought of me. I only cared about how Sophia pictured me. When I confronted her on what she thought of me after I came out, she told me flatly that she pictured me as herself. She told me that I was a boy version of her - outgoing, bubbly personality, and carefree. Once our laughs subsided the only thing heard in my bedroom was our breathing.

"Hey Sophia?"

I knew that she knew that this was a serious question I was about to ask her. I never called her Sophia. I either called Soph or Sophie.

"Yeah Louis?"

"Say that when I told everyone I was gay and we weren't friends, would you have bullied me like everyone else?"

I knew my question took her by surprise because the muscles in her face softened and her mouth turned into a frown.

"Of course not Lou. Why would you even think that?" her voice was soft.

I shrug, "I don't know. Everyone doesn't really approve of my sexuality."

"Screw everyone. They're a bunch of homophobic pricks. Listen to me Louis, I'm not just saying this because you're my best friend, I'm saying this because it's the truth. No matter what people say, be yourself. Who cares what others think? I think you're perfect. No matter what your sexuality is. Okay?"

I take in the details of Sophia's answer.

"I still wish I wasn't gay."

"That's something you can't change. It's your personality and you should never change your personality."

She pauses before continuing, "And I happen to love your personality, Lou."

She turns back to lean on the headboard again.

"I wish Harry was gay."

"Maybe he is. You don't know that."

"You didn't see the way he looked at Sheila."

"No maybe not. But maybe he was looking at you instead and you just didn't notice."

"I highly doubt that."