Chapter Thirty-one

Harry's flu was gone within the week. He felt better just in time for an Open Mic Night. Though I kept telling him he didn't have to preform, he refused to listen.

“No matter how many times you tell me that I don't have to preform tonight, I'm not going to listen.” Harry sighs, buttoning his flannel. “I'm still going, Lou.”

I sigh, giving up on getting him to stay home.

….

I help Niall walk Sophia inside of the coffee shop and over to our usual table. Once she sat down, I could tell she was clearly annoyed at us babying her, but she didn't say anything.

“Would you like anything, sweetpea?” Niall asks her sweetly.

“No I'm fine.” she smiles sweetly back and watches him walk off before turning towards me, her teeth gritted. “I'm going to kill him one day.” she sighs, running a hand through her hair. “I'm gonna snap and end up breaking his neck.”

I can't help but laugh. I turn my eyes back to the stage and see Harry setting up.

“Couldn't get him to stay home, huh?” Sophia asks.

I sigh, “No.”

The sound of a guitar strings being tuned draws my attention back to the stage to watch Harry. He had on one of his famous flower-crowns, a button-up flannel, skinny jeans, and brown boots. His jeans hugged his lanky legs in the right places. The guitar strings had stopped playing and I bring my eyes back up to Harry's face and he's smirking. At me. He had caught me looking at his legs and other areas. He turns back to his guitar and continues it. Niall comes back from the bathroom and takes his seat next to Sophia as Harry readies himself.

“Um hi.” he smiles awkwardly into the microphone. “I am apologizing before hand if my voice is a bit groggy. I am recovering from the flu.” this causes the crowd to laugh lightly. “So yeah. And also, this song is kind of dedicated to someone. You know who you are.”

His words cause a blush to wash across my face and everyone knows the song is for me. Harry clears his throat before pulling the microphone closer to his lips.

Stay for tonight

If you want to

I can show you

What my dreams are made of,

As I'm dreaming of your face

I've been away for a long time

Such a long time

And I miss you there

I can't imagine being anywhere else

I can't imagine being anywhere else but here.”

He pauses to breathe.

“How the hell did you ever pick me?

Honestly, 'cause I could sing you a song

But I don't think words can express your beauty

It's singing to me

How the hell did we end up like this?

You bring out the beast in me

I fell in love from the moment we kissed

Since then we've been history.”

His voice pitch rises.

“They say that love is forever

Your forever is all that I need

Please stay as long as you need

Can't promise that things won't be broken

But I swear that I will never leave

Please stay forever with me.”

“It goes to show, I hope that you know that you are

What my dreams are made of

And I can't fall asleep,

I lay in my bed awake at nights,

And I'll fall in love, you'll fall in love

It could mean everything, everything to me

Ooh This could mean everything to me.”

His voice pitch rises again.

“They say that love is forever

Your forever is all that I need

Please stay as long as you need

Can't promise that things won't be broken

But I swear that I will never leave

Please stay forever...”

He pauses one more time and holds the last note.

“Please stay forever with me.”

He steps down from the stage and walks to me. I engulf him in a tight hug.

“I'll stay forever. I promise.” I whisper into his chest.

“I love you.” he breathes.

“I love you too.”

….

Months have now passed and Sophia is now eight months pregnant. She could barely walk, with her feet being so swollen. But school was over and she was on maternity leave from work, so she was home all the time. Even though she was pregnant throughout most of the school year, Sophia managed to come home with straight-A's. I was beyond proud. I had come with A's and B's. I was stressed this year, I had so much going on. Now that school was over, I had to keep my promise to my mother. I had to visit my family with Harry. I had a week vacation coming up so I set up to stay the week with my family. The week in July had approached fast. Niall was helping Harry bring our luggage down to the cab as I said goodbye to Sophia.

“You call me if anything happens with the baby alright?” I say, hugging her tightly.

“I've got another six weeks, Lou.” she laughs. “You'll be home in time.”

“Love you.”

“Love you too.”

I step back and Harry reaches for my hand.

“Say hello to your mother for me!” Sophia calls from the door as I walk down the hallway with Harry.

“I will!” I call back.

….

We now sat on the train to Doncaster and I could feel Harry's palms becoming sweaty as he gripped my hand tightly. I knew it was his nerves because the train was air conditioned.

“Nervous?” I laugh lightly.

“What? Oh.” he blushes embarrassingly, when he notices his hand is sweaty. “Just a bit.”

“Don't worry.” I kiss his cheek. “They're going to love you. I know I do.”

He nods but I could tell something was still wrong.

“What's wrong?” I ask.

“I just wish I had a family to bring you home too.”

“Well you have your neighbor.” I smile.

“Yeah,” he smiles a little. “it's just not the same, you know?”

“I know.” I sigh. “Let's get some sleep, yeah? We still have another two hours.”

“Alright.” he nods.

I curl into his side as best as I could on the train and fall asleep to the steady sway of the tracks and Harry's heartbeat.