3. Accomplish in Drag

I walked into the bank by myself, heart racing. I couldn't believe I was dong this, but Gerard threatened to kill me; and more importantly threatened to gun down an innocent bystander at the outside café across the street if I wasn't back outside with the money in ten minutes. Whether Gerard was really willing to make good on that threat or not, I wasn't about to gamble on it with another person's life.

I made my way over to the short line in that outfit Gerard forced me to wear. That gray skirt was just above my knees, and the black woman's boots I wore up to mid-calf. Gerard topped off this little ensemble with a sheer purple scarf around my neck, a pair of black framed 80s styled sunglasses, and a large black purse. There was also of course the long curly brown-haired wig atop my head, and a dark shade of pink lipstick on my lips. Gerard had wanted me to look like a young woman; and well, I suppose I pulled it off. I definitely didn't recognize myself in the mirror at the motel, and nobody here seemed to be staring. I would have been embarrassed of this get-up if I weren't so terrified and nervous.

It was my turn all too quickly, and nervously I made my way to the free teller at the end of the counter who had called out 'next'.

"What can I do for you today, ma'am?" the cheery blonde woman asked.

I grimaced and shakily pulled the note out from the purse Gerard had instructed me to pass to the teller. I remained silent just like he told me to, and with a shaking hand I placed the paper on the counter. Gerard had let me read the note over briefly, and I hoped to god it would work. People could die outside if I didn't walk out of there with the money. The woman reached for the paper, and I held my breath as I saw her eyes widening as she read it.

Dear teller,

We have this woman's daughter outside, and if she doesn't return to us with all the money in your register, we're going to splatter her little girl's brain all over the pavement. No alarm button. If we so much as hear the faint sound of a siren, the girl is dead. Act normal. Return this note to the woman as well as all your cash in envelopes. You have 5 minutes, or this little girl's blood is on your hands.

Thank you in advance,
B&C

'B&C', Gerard's little homage to Bonnie and Clyde. The teller slid the note back to me, and I could see it was taking a lot out of her to force that smile on her face and act calm. "Okay miss, I'll g-get this done for you as fast as I can."

It had worked. It had fucking worked. The woman quickly went about emptying her register, pretending to quickly count through the bills so nothing would look suspicious with the security camera on her. Seven envelopes were stuffed full of cash and handed over with a fake smile. I zipped up the money securely in the purse and mouthed a nervous 'thank you' before turning to leave. While I walked away my already fast beating heart sped up even more. I had to suppress the urge to run. I could just picture it: security guards were going to come tackling me to the floor any second, that innocent person across the street was going to be shot, and Gerard would just drive off free of getting caught.

But I made it passed the glass doors of the bank, out into the fresh air and under a bright blue sky. A perfect day that only seemed to be mocking the terror I was feeling. I continued on down the sidewalk. As soon as I was in front of the neighboring building, I crossed the street and immediately made my way into Gerard's awaiting car.

"You got it?"

"Y-yes." I nodded, opening the purse in my lap and showing Gerard one of the filled envelopes.

"That's my girl," Gerard grinned. He plucked off my sunglasses and then grabbed a light hold of my jaw, leaning in and pressing his lips against mine in a firm, quick kiss before I knew what was happening. I had gone completely tense, and he merely pulled back with a smirk, his lips now smeared a little with my lipstick.