SAMPLE READING: Eight Point Plot Arc Reading For SciFriday

I'm writing another short story for the latest #SciFriday challenge, and thought I'd hit the trusty old Tarot deck to come up with a plot. I've only got 1500 words to work with, so it has to be quick and to the point. As always, the cards can be a great source of ideas for a new project. Let's see what they can do for us this time.

The theme of this challenge is to write a story about nuclear winter, within the sub-genre of Military and/or Time and Eternity SF. We'll start with a basic eight card layout, based on the spread mentioned in this guide. I've given absolutely no thought to character, setting, or structure on this, so it's a completely fresh start. I'll look at each card individually, starting with an intuitive approach, and then applying the card's traditional meanings, and we'll see what kind of storyline emerges. I'm using the Rider-Waite deck for this reading.

1: The Stasis--8 Of Pentacles This is the starting point, the protagonist's routine or 'comfort zone' which is about to be disrupted by the events of the story. Intuitive insights--A young man sits at a work bench with a hammer and chisel, carving pentacles into golden disks. The disk lying on the ground keeps drawing my attention, as if its been discarded or abandoned. I'm also focusing on the work apron or tool belt he's wearing. The three ties down his back seem significant. The castle in the background also seems important, though distant, as if it's something he's traveling to or aspiring to. A common person focused on their everyday work. Traditional keywords--rewarding work, commitment, resourceful, routine.

2: The Trigger--The Hermit The inciting event which will start the protagonist along. Intuitive insights--An old man carrying a staff and a lantern. The white ground at his feet looks like snow. His hooded cloak looks as if he's dressed for the cold. His shoulders seem bent and head bowed as if he's weary. Lots of gray standing out, makes me think of cold ashes and winter. Things which have long burned out. His lantern looks as if its shining through mist or bad weather. Traditional keywords--solitude, introspection, wisdom, guidance.

3: The Quest--10 Of Swords The point at which the protagonist decides to take action and begin their 'quest'. Intuitive insights: A rather bleak scene. A body lies on the ground with ten swords in its back. The landscape behind draws my attention. Like smoke rising over a barren plain covered in pale snow. Black, smoke-filled sky. The hilts of the swords oddly make me think of metal turrets mounted with high powered artillery, and also of people carrying guns. Traditional keywords--Rock bottom, giving up, at wit's end.

4: The Surprise--The Star A twist or challenge to complicate the protagonist's quest. Intuitive Insights--A young woman pours water from two vases, one onto the land, and one into a pool. One large star and seven smaller ones light the sky. The ground looks thirsty, as if its swallowing the water away. The tree in the right background looks as if a bird is resting on one of its branches. Innocence fills my mind, though perhaps in a naive or needy way. Traditional keywords--optimism, renewal, boundlessness, peace, hope.

5: The Choice--The Hierophant (reversed) What the character decides to do in the face of their challenges. Intuitive insights--An austere religious figure turned on his head. The two pillars at his sides appear to stand out. Abandoned machinery and old silos come to mind.The figure in the middle seems to be preaching with a hand curved proudly against the dilapidated structures. The robes and patterns his two followers wear strike me as gaudy and outdated. The carvings on the pillars have an almost Victorian elegance to them, like the glories of a time forgotten or lost. Traditional keywords--unorthodox, breaking the rules, going against authority and the status quo.

6: The Climax--4 Of Wands (reversed) The culmination or 'high point' of the plot. Intuitive insights--The four poles supporting the canopy seem loose, unattached though they appear to be firm at first glance. The castle in the background seems to tie in with the one I noticed in the first 'Stasis' card. Two cloaked figures wave flowers or branches of fruit. Similar leafy vines sag between the poles. The castle looks stifled and dreary as if its buried under a pile of snow or ash. Traditional keywords--Instabilty, lack of harmony, breakdown in communication.

7: The Reversal--3 Of Cups The result of the Choice and the Climax. The way in which the character's world is forever changed. Intuitive insights--Three young women dance and raise their goblets in celebration. Fruit and flowers lay around them on the ground.Something about the goblets reminds me of horns or trumpets. Music, celebration, abundance of food and green growing things. Harvest. Traditional keywords--social, festive, helping others, harmonious relationships.

8: The Resolution--The Sun (reversed) The final outcome of the adventure. Intuitive insights--The sun looks harsh and artificial. Radiation and UV rays from nuclear winter. The red cloak looks like a blood stained war banner. The child looks frozen, and splayed in helplessness.The sunflowers seem to be growing out of dirty, ashy snow. Traditional keywords--cloudy, setbacks, lack of enthusiasm, depression, pessimism.

Analysis
Let's string all of this together and see what we've got. The story starts off with a routine job. Just another day doing what we've always done. It's supposed to work out as it always does, with little to no hassle. Something--or someone--arrives with a 'guiding light' or insight of some sort, one which will likely change the protagonist's opinion of the situation, and may put them at odds with others. The protagonist's companions will likely not agree. A drastic and perhaps violent event reduces everything to ashes, and the protagonist will be at their wit's end, and forced to undertake the mission out of sheer survival and desperation. When things look to be at their worst, the protagonist meets with a new ray of hope. A person or situation will arrive to bolster their efforts. Perhaps this ties in with the inciting event/the Hermit card somehow. The thing which everyone else condemned but the protagonist supported will turn things around. In this, the protagonist faces 'The Choice', which being the Hierophant reversed signifies a turning against the status quo or established belief system. The protagonist will have to make an unpopular move, but they know it's the right thing to do. The climax of the story is when the protagonist must face the social consequences of turning against everything acceptable. The reversal is when the character receives the rewards of their efforts. This appears to be a celebration, an arrival to a place of harmony with others, abundance, and benefits. The final outcome of the story isn't so bright overall. The Sun reversed shows the protagonist isn't pleased with this result somehow, perhaps even taken into against their will. Though everything looks cheerful and good, the protagonist knows it's not what it seems. The reversed Sun also fits in perfectly with the nuclear winter theme--a clouded sun.

The finished story derived from this reading can be read here. Note: contains exploding zombies and mature language ;)

https://www.wattpad.com/208659047-scifriday-entries-falling-out-scifriday-challenge