The Tin Man -part one

"Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue..."

Haley groaned audibly as the music permeated through his thin walls. "Every morning T! Every morning I wake up to that ridiculous song!"

The dormitories were too small to avoid the quirks of the other floor mates, but the daily wakeup call never seized to amaze Haley with its brazen rudeness. He waited for the click alerting him that his elusive neighbor had woken up and finally ended the torture.

'Click'

 He waited a moment, verifying that the infernal ballad had finally been silenced before dragging himself from the bed. His uniform hung pin straight along the edge of the single small window that was afforded to every room. 

"Red sunshine again." Haley noted as the blood color stripes ran across the orange sunbeams. The ruby stripes lasted hours after attacks, alerting the soldiers to wear their gas masks before descending forth from the interconnected buildings. Haley heard tales of a blue sky that existed before the attacks, but the only proof he had found of the fantasy were buried deep in the few books available to the military men.

The door to the tiny dorm flew open with a bang, a man of tiny stature taking up barely half the doorway as he quickly searched the room with his eyes. "Stripes day, don't forget your mask again Haley. Sarge was serious when he said he'd use you as an example next time." 

"Yeah, I got a window too monk."

"I know that Hale, just wanted to make sure you remembered the protocol for the gas."

"Yup, got a protocol handbook too." Haley lifted the small book, brandishing it like a bible for the benefit of the tiny soldier.

Monk stepped forward and grabbed the book from Haley moments before he dropped it.  He glanced over it quickly before returning it back to the small bookcase from where all standard handbooks were placed. "Well maybe you should be reading it rather than using it for a paperweight."

"Why read it? Sergeant bangs it into our heads every moment of the day."

"And yet you still feel confident defying it."

"Your head’s gonna unscrew mothering me so much Monk." Hale swatted at the disapproving shake of the smaller man as he passed through the doorway, now dressed in full uniform, his gas mask carried haphazardly under his arm.

The duo made their way from the cadet housing to the main building, following the maze of interconnecting tunnels that both barred and saved them from the toxic air that hung outside. Monk followed the groups in true lemming form, looking behind occasionally to verify that Haley was still in step.

"Hurry up Hale." The smaller soldier made his best attempt to sound sinister in his warning but he knew it fell on deaf ears. Haley made a point to walk out of step and out of tune with the other soldiers, his eyes constantly searching about as the call for breakfast rushed the men.

"I'll get to chow Monk, you just make sure you lead these men properly, we all know that's the best way to earn those stripes you want so bad."

Monk grumbled in response and continued his march past the awaiting doors and into the large auditorium that would be their morning briefing. Most of the men had already gathered their food and were quickly making history of the rations. Food had become a luxury after the wars, mostly reserved for the wealthy, but because the feuding families had wanted to attract only the healthiest and best of men, the military also provided the best options. A new recruit was always easy to spot by the rapid intake of his meal.

"You better hurry up, looks like a new class just arrived and you know what that means."

"Yeah, leftover muffins again. Not a problem, not that hungry today Monk."

Monk slammed a bowl of buttery smelling grits down on Haley's metal tray, sneaking a rather large bagel along the edge. "I need you focused on runs today Hale, not your growling stomach. Eat, they only get more ravenous until the third week."

Both men surveyed the room as the loud sounds of chewing rang about them. Both men broke into laughter while the underfed youth continued their arsenal on the available treats.

Slowly the men made their way from the large room through adjoining double doors. It wasn't long till Haley and Monk joined followed the crowds, the new recruits buzzing with anticipation.

A green light slowly drew over the room, silencing the antsy crowd.

A screen appeared amid the emerald glow, producing a face notably scarred from years of wars.

“Welcome to the Oboedientia Zmaragdus division. We are the first and finest line of defense. All of you have been hand selected to join these ranks, from which we will mold and train you in the fashion most accustomed to our long tradition. Not all of you will make it, as only the best are needed. If you enjoy your current status do keep this in mind when training. Coppers will be expected to join their training officers immediately.”

There was a moment of silent awe in the room before the realization of the newest soldiers set in, and a sudden harried exodus followed the sound of plates being stacked hurriedly.

“Steels will resume their weapons training in the main building. All guns will be inspected and the first round of eliminations will begin.”

A second wave of soldiers headed for the double doors, some with looks of fear peaking at the corner of their eyes.

“As for our Tin trainee’s, congratulations on your current status, today you begin your training amongst the population of the underground. You will encounter the vermin that remain, hidden, vicious, and hungry. Do not be fooled by their weak demeanor, they are more than willing to destroy you or inject you without a second thought.”

The emerald lit face paused long enough for the information to soak the room. Haley turned just in time to see Monk shudder.

“The sky is red today, so take all precautions as described in your handbook. Congrats remaining Tin soldiers, and remember we do not just survive, we conquer!”