Welcome to Hollyworld

"Welcome to Hollyworld, what's your dream? Everybody comes here; this is Hollyworld, planet of dreams."

Davis watched as the man sang out to the creatures exiting the bus, their faces full of timid hope as they read the large welcoming sign above the cat caller.

The bright moon shined through the station windows as he made his way past the throngs awaiting entry, avidly searching for a maroon uniform.

"Hey, whoa there, you can't just walk past security like that flesh-bag."

Davis did his best not to cringe in response to the insult as the offender stopped him with a humongous paw to the chest. As his gaze trailed up the hairy arm, he couldn't help but think how much the creature resembled an Ape from the history books.

"My name is Corporal Davis, from the seventh quadrant border defense..."

The words were still forming as the ape like creature raised his other paw, confirming his lack of interest.

"Well la di da. I don't care if you're Admiral Milky Way from the planet Mars, no cutting the line Humanoid!"

Davis took a step forward to challenge the offense, his eyes trailing up the purple polyester bursting at the seams from the creatures orange fluff, when the massive mound of fur released an intimidating snarl.

"Now, now, no need to get all agro boys, there's no camera on you now." The voice was almost laughing as both Ape and Humanoid looked towards its source. "You can let go of Corporal Davis now Chunk."

The slow drawl seemed to omit from a rather large pair of lips attached to a very tiny dwarf, who tipped his ten-gallon hat back and pointed at the ground below Davis. The Corporal looked down and realized that he was actually floating several inches off the ground, his feet dangling unknowingly in the hubbub.

Chunk huffed as Davis crashed to the ground, his awkward landing earning a snide chuckle from the orange simian.

"No more telepathic levitations without clearance Chunk. You know how the brass feels about paperwork."

"Tis why they hired me, is it not Earp?" Chunk adjusted his binding uniform and resumed scanning the crowds.

"Well more so for your brawn and brains, kinda hoping the latter would be used more."

The ape sniffed as Earp extended his lips out and sucked in, lifting Davis from the ground with its force.

"Um, thanks." Davis dusted himself off, trying desperately not to stare at the body-encompassing smile on the dwarf.

"Welcome to Hollyworld Corporal Davis, home of dreams and desires. We are home to the most famous and successful alien beings in all of space, the most infamous too, all part and parcel of the allure. I'm Captain Earp."

Earp beamed at Davis, who just cocked his head and blinked in return while he tried to pinpoint the hat toting mini man's accent.

"Right then, let's get you started Corporal. You are now a member of the busiest border task force in the known universe. Hollyworld has an average daily intake of thirty thousand beings, both organic and non organic, attempting to gain entry."

Earp led Davis through the crowds as if on an unseen path, making his way easily through the creatures despite Davis's inability to locate ocular cavities on the midget.

"Non-organic?"

"Non-organics, that doesn't include unstables mind you, those have requirements all their own."