Chapter One: Goodbye

The sun peaked through the curtains, signaling that morning had come once again. Roy groaned as he stirred, knowing that this was the one day that he was allowed to sleep in, but also knew that he couldn't even do that. Rolling over, he looked at the clock as saw that it was already eight o'clock and that her train was going to leave in two hours.

It had been 10 years since the fight had ended and his entire life had been turned upside down, even longer had it been since his life had been made better once again. Rolling over to his other side, he smiled lightly as he peered down at the mess of burgundy hair beside him. Even though 7 years had passed since the start of their new way of life, it seemed like Aileana was still adjusting. There were formalities and regulations that she wasn't used to, throw in the fact that she couldn't go anywhere outside the main halls without an escort drover her crazy.

            "Madam Führer," he said, kissing her lightly on the cheek, "it's time to wake up."

She groaned, pushing him away gently as she dug herself deeper into the sheet.

            "Five more minutes," she mumbled.

            "If you want to stay I can go with her to the train station,"

As if realizing what day it was, Aileana's eyes snapped open and she threw the sheets off herself.

            "Absolutely not," she climbed out of bed, making her way to her dresser, "I would never forgive myself if I didn't see her off,"

Laughing, Roy followed suit and began to dress. While this was his one day to sleep in, he knew after the trip to the train station that he was going to have to head straight to central command. While he did enjoy his new line of work, he did miss the simpler days. After he dressed, he looked over and found that Aileana was acting a bit off kilter.

            "Hey, are you ok?" he asked, walking over to her to steady her.

            "Yea, yea," she waved him off, "I guess still a bit tired,"

Looking at her more closely, he also noticed that she looked pale as well. While she occasionally did have her fits, they weren't as bad or as frequent as they used to be before the battle. He had gotten to the point where he could recognize when she was going to have an attack, but this was different.

            "If you're not feeling well, I know she'll understand if you stay home,"

            "Roy Mustang," she spun around, pointing her hairbrush at him, "I will be going to the train station with you and if you don't drop this I swear to god I'm going to hurt you,"

Before Roy could say anything back there was a light knocking at their bedroom door.

            "Mom? Dad? Are you almost ready?" Rosie's voice asked from behind the door, "Breakfast is waiting on the table and Russell is insisting that we all eat together before we leave,"

            "We'll be down in just a moment, don't worry," Aileana said, slipping a dress over her head.

            "Aileana..."

            "Roy," she was firm with him, "I saw her off the last time and I'm going to see her off this time,"

            "Yes but last time was a completely different reason. She's leaving because she wants to leave,"

            "I know," she turned away from him, looking as if she was going to cry, "It's just that... I don't want her to go,"

Roy pulled her into his arm, hugging her tightly, "I know you don't want her to go, but you know that this is going to be the best thing for her,"