VI: White Rose

The river gushed like raging bulls. All he had in mind was to survive from drowning. He tried reaching for anything he can grab but the stones were slippery and the current won't let him. The light glimpsed at him as his head kept bobbing up and down. It was like a rhythm. Every now and then, he opens his eyes to look around and breath when he has the chance. Witnessing the fight between elves, orcs, and dwarves, who were also being drifted with their barrels, Conner decided to stay far from their sight.

Eventually, they've reached the end of the stream. They were flushed out of the portcullis and plunged straight down to the river. They all screamed as they unwillingly dived into the water. It took him moments before he sprang back to the surface, coughing off some water and gasping for air. Conner can't believed he survived that fall.

The elves finally stopped following them. The orcs and the dwarves were also nowhere in sight. He immediately swam onto the river bank when the wild current diminished. He lay flat on his back, soaking wet. Still breathing for air, he heard a sudden rustle of leaves in the bushes. He rose and scanned his surroundings. Thinking it was nothing, he shrugged and went back to rest. When he finally dozed off, something sneaked in and discreetly dragged him into the dark forest.

•••

Alex thought she has no other choice but to trust Thranduil in bringing his brother back. Nevertheless, she started feeling a little wobbly when she was brought into many winding paths. They went through a couple of doorways and staircases before they've finally reached the top of his kingdom. At the peak of the realm, she finally had the chance to overview the land completely foreign to her. She gazed at the sky as the sun started setting into the horizon. It was like a canvass mixed with shades of orange from the sun and blue from the sky.  While she was staring at the breath taking landscape, she didn't notice Thranduil headed somewhere else. She looked for him and saw the garden of different sorts of flowers. She went near and was fascinated by how blooming the flowers were, perfectly arranged according to their different kinds and hues. Thranduil was wandering in the garden as if looking for something. When he found the one to his liking, he slightly leaned and picked from the collective sets of flowers. Alex was standing there confused by the King's actions.

"Why did you bring me here?" Alex' mind was full of thoughts and questions. Thranduil smiled and gracefully strode towards her. She was taken aback and pretended to tie her shoes even though there were no laces. As the realization hit her, she immediately stood straight and clenched her fist before the approaching King. For unknown reason he always made her tense.

Thranduil's crystal blue eyes gazed upon hers. He handed her a white rose. She gave first a startled look before carefully retrieving the delicate flower. The rose was so pure, it's color and fragrance was radiating within it. She smiled at the flower while gently stroking it's silky smooth petals. She admired it for a moment, then the smile on her face faded slowly. Once again, her mind was boggling.

"I apologize for I was wrong. I have mistaken you for someone with dark intentions. I hope you can forgive me after how I've treated you." Thranduil spoke to her with sincerity while watching the sunset.

"How did you know?" she asked, still looking down at the flower she was holding. Thranduil slightly tilted his head clueless at her question.

"How did you know that my favorite color is white?" This time she looked at him and met his cold stare. The King let out a short laugh before he answered.

"I didn't," she felt embarrassed knowing that the king was innocent of her assumption.

"White rose signifies new beginnings." he said looking at the rose. "..even so, a coincidence, it is an interesting fact to know about you." He continued trying to make her feel better.