I: The Twins

A/N: Okay this is my first fanfiction so please bear with me. Im not a native speaker so please message me if you want to point out an error or anything that bothers you. Your feedback will be highly appreciated. :D and please don't forget to vote! ^^

••• ••• ••• ••• •••

Prologue:

In a small village of Lappers, there lived a pair of twins. A girl and a boy. Though they are twins, they were not identical. Physically, you wouldn't assume they were related, except for their wavy blond hair and crystal blue eyes. The girl has an innocent and beautiful pale face with softlips. She has fair skin and her height is an average for her age. Her blond hair extends up to her waist.

Unlike her brother, she has a strong heart and will, and smarter. While, her twin brother is a bit emotional, he has a tan skin due to his everyday practice in the soccer field. He has a prominent jaw line that made him look more mature and older than his age. He is also few inches taller than his twin. Their parents died when they were still young. Since then, they lived with their aunt and uncle who treated as if they were their own child.

Their grandma on their mother's side visits them once in a while to share stories: fairytales, epics, adventures and all sorts. When they were ten, she stopped visiting the twins because of her old age. Since then, the twins rarely see their grandma. Now that they have grown and in their college-age, the twins managed to own an apartment in the city. A small bakery shop was their current source of living. Their life was pretty peaceful and normal. Today was their 20th birthday. The twins planned to visit their parents and grandma in their old town.

•••

"Thank you for the cake mom." The girl, Alex, said to her aunt with a genuine smile in her face. They have been calling them mom and dad since they were young. "This is the least that I can do, darling." She said and put her hands on the girl's shoulder.

"If you just know how thankful we really are. Thank you mom, dad, we are really grateful to have you. Without you two. . ." Before Conner, the other twin, could finish his statement, his uncle interrupted him. "Are we starting this again? Now, it's getting late you still have to visit your grandma." Their uncle said.

"Right, well, I guess we'll take our leave now. We will visit you again we promise." Alex said. "We are looking forward to it." Their aunt said. After saying goodbyes, the twins left the house.

It was snowing. There was already a thin layer of snow on the road. They didn't feel so cold, thanks to the sweater their grandma sent to them. Alex looked up enjoying the view. She always love white. She loves snow. The softness, the pureness of the surrounding. She missed rolling on the snow when they were little, creating angels with her brother. They will make snowman, have snowball fight, but they are too old for that, she thought. She just stood still and a snowflake landed on the tip of her nose. "Cold." she whispered.

"Hey Alex, I thought you were the one more excited than me?" Conner teased as he called his twin. Alex snapped and quickly walked beside her brother. "I really am, dear brother." She replied and then smiled.

The twins both look excited in visiting their grandma. It's been a while since they last seen her. After few hours of travel, they finally arrived to their grandma's house. It wasn't that big. It is a mix of stoned and wooden house. Large windows on the front but was covered with thick curtains inside. The lights were on. The twins knocked at the door.

"Hello Grandma! It's us! Alex and Conner!" Alex called through the door. After a few moments they heard footsteps approaching the door. They waited and the door opened. Their eyes became teary upon seeing their grandma. They hugged her tight. The old lady looked happy and hugged them too.

"We missed you so much grandma." Conner said holding back his tears. "I missed you too darlings" The old lady replied and kissed the two on their forehead. After the warm reunion, she invited the twins inside her warm house. It was nice and pretty clean. Nothing much has changed since they last visited. The old portraits of their grandma and parents were still hanged. The little statues placed on the bookshelves were still there. The books they used to read when they were young were not moved. "How are you grandma?" Alex asked.

"Im doing pretty fine darling. Better than you, I bet" Their grandma teased. Even though their grandma is old, she seemed to be more physically fit and healthier than others of her age. "Wait here. Im going to get something for ya" the old lady said. "Oh you don't have to grandma." Conner replied with concern in his eyes. "No, it's my pleasure and I've been waiting for this moment. Just sit over there and wait for me." She replied and left with a very large smile on her face. The twins looked at each other and smiled. They sat on the red comfy sofa in the living room. They were sitting in front of the fire place. They stared at it as the fire sparkled out and they listened to the sound of burning wood. Very peaceful. Alex thought. They just watched the wood burning in the fireplace when their grandma came back. She was holding a large book. Based on its appearance, one can say it's vintage. It has a hard rock-like cover and carvings on it. Leaves and twigs were on the sides of the cover. There were symbols they don't understand but in the center of the cover it said Middle Earth. It was embossed to make it easier to read.

"Middle earth?" Alex asked. Her grandma nodded with a wide smile.

"Um what's middle earth?" Conner asked

"It's for you to know" Their grandma said and winked.

"Unfair!" Conner replied.

Alex and grandma laughed. They always loved it when their grandma reads fairytales and epic stories to them when they're still young. They know this would be more exciting.

"I know you want me to tell stories but your nanny is a bit old and forgets things a lot. I'm afraid I can't give you good stories now" Their grandma sighed, saddened by this fact. "Instead, I'd like to give you this book, for you to explore. This is my present. I hope you'll like it. Happy birthday my little angels." The old lady continued, her sad face was quickly replaced with excitement. "We understand, thank you very much grandma!" The twins hugged their grandma again. "Can we read it now?" Conner asked. Grandma shook her head "At the right time darling" she said smiling. The twins looked confused and puzzled. When is the right time, they thought. "Pretty soon." She added and smirked. The twins were surprised as if their grandma can read their minds. They just nodded and decided to keep it with their belongings. After that they went to kitchen and ate dinner with the food their grandma prepared. It was delicious. When they're full, they went back to the living room and started sharing stories about their school, business, and everyday life. They all looked happy. They missed these moments.

It's really getting late and they decided to stay there for the night. The twins slept in a comfy room on the upper floor with single bed for each of the twin, while their grandma slept in the next room.

The twins were having a good sleep when they were awaken by a sudden loud noise. The noise was coming inside their room. They got up and looked at each other.

"What was that?" Alex asked.

•••••••••••••••

A/N: this is how the story starts. Thranduil will be on the later chapters so please hold on :D Thank you for reading! <3