Who am I?

Everything. What was everything?

"Katherine, we are here." We were inside his house, "You may want to wash up, clean up the cuts. I think you may have broken something."

"No, I want to hear it. I need to hear it." He place me in his living room. He sat beside me and held my hand. His father walked inside and took the place in front of me.

"Father, I..."

"You need to tell her. It is okay." He nodded at his son.

"Katherine." He paused sighing. I looked down at his hands, they had blood on them from punching the man. There was a long pause. He didn't know where to begin. I looked at him, concerned.

"We can control elements. From many types. Jess can control an electric element. That is what you saw today Katherine. He was protecting you."

"But then why do they want me? Why would they tell me I was adopted?"

"I don't know that yet Katherine. If I was allowed to run some tests. I could tell you. They probably told you that to fluster you. Make you less aware of fighting him off."

"But what if it is true? What if I am not their child." I sat there my mind going over many possibilities of who my parents might be.

"Katherine, it does you no good to sit there and ponder who your parents might be. Please. That man, with the jagged scar. His name is Nickolas. He can control you, if he gets you to look him in the eyes long enough. But I can read thoughts. Dangerous talent to have. People in our world want to have it, will pay me a great sum for it. Which is why we moved here, they wouldn't look for me. I had my son to protect."

"You can read thoughts? I..." I was never more confused in my life.

"It is okay to be confused Kat." Jess's father said flashing me a smile.

"I am sure my father will run the tests for you. But we should make sure it is what you want. It may not be good what we find out."

"No I should do this. Find out what I am."

"Kat, it doesn't matter what these tests tell us. It doesn't matter; this doesn't make up who you are. Now I think we should get you cleaned up. Then I can bring you home." Jess got up, gently tugging on my arm.

"Wait, if people are looking for you and your talent Mr. Cobb, does that mean that this could help them find you. I mean Nickolas seeing Jess use his powers to help me."

"Kat, you must not concern yourself with such things." His smile dwindled.

Jess ran a bath for me. Upstairs in his personal bathroom. It was dark brown the tiles matching. It was very clean.

"Here, after you're done I'll bandage your cuts and I'll go and find you something to wear."

I crawled in, my body protesting as I scrubbed away the dirt and blood. Little cuts from when I was kicked, even bigger bruises. I pulled the band aids off my hands and knees. When I was clean enough I slowly lifted my body and sat at the edge of the tub. I wrapped a large white towel over myself. I heard knocking.

"Come in." It was Jesse.

"Holy cow, Nickolas beat the crap out of you."

"No, it was my so called classmates. They surrounded me. That is why I was outside. Running away." I started to tear up.

Jesse sat beside me as I grasped the towel. My fingers ran against the soft material. He padded the clothing in his lap.

"These were my mother's. I asked my father if you could wear them. I think they should fit." He looked down at them. He handed them to me before leaving. I changed, it was a pair of black pants and a purple shirt. It fit perfectly on me. I walked outside of the bathroom.

"Kat, I..." He turned around; his face immediately faced the floor. I saw a tear fall from his face.

"Jess, are you okay. I could change to my old clothes." It was weird standing there while he was crying. I walked across the room. I hugged him, this time it was him who buried his face into my shoulder.

"Kat" He whispered to me. "You don't know how she died, do you?" I shook my head. "It was because of my father. That is why we moved. They kidnapped her, told him that if he didn't work for the king he would kill her. He went to work for him." Jesse took a deep breath, my hands moved to grasp his waist. "They killed her anyways, he did what they wanted, Katherine. Yet they killed her." I felt him tense up gripping me even tighter. He began to talk louder. "I don't know what would happen if that was you Kat. I would die inside. My father is strong for what he did. For protecting me. But Kat I would want vengeance. I would kill them all. I want too; I never got to know my mum. It hurts every day.''

"Jess, it is okay I am here. I will always be here." He calmed down, his tears stopping.

"Katherine I love you." Jess was looking at me. Even with all my bruises and cuts he still found me beautiful. Finally I wasn't worried about being an outsider, or not belonging. I knew here was where I belonged and I hoped it would last.

"I love you too."