Chapter 1

Micah groaned, a light shove to his shoulder jolting him out of the peaceful haze of his nap. He blearily opened his eyes, looking to his mother as he realized the car had finally come to a stop.

"We here?"

Emilia smiled fondly as she watched Micah stretch and wince, the soreness from his unintentional car nap finally registering.

"Yes, we are here. Traffic wasn't too bad and you slept the last couple hours of the drive here. Truthfully we have been here for a while, we were getting stuff set up in the house and I didn't want to wake you, I know you've had trouble sleeping lately."

Micah smiled at Emilia, nodding in gratitude before opening the door and stumbling out into the early fall air, such a contrast from the suffocating heat of where they had come from.

Micah yawned, stretching his arms in the air and groaning happily when he heard several satisfying cracks. He could feel his Mom's gaze on him and knew she was probably cringing at the sound. Her sharp feline hearing easily picking up the sounds from the other side of the car.

"Come on Micah, it's starting to get dark out now, best to get a few things set up before we call it a night."

Micah nodded, his gaze travelling around the surrounding area as he followed her into the house, eyes sharp. He wasn't about to let his guard down. Not yet at least.

He wouldn't put her at risk, never again.