Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Asher

Layla's scent surrounds me. My face is pressed into her hair when I awaken and my body is wrapped around her small form, as if my subconscious mind can't stand to be more than an inch away from her, hungry for the feel of her skin on mine. It's been too long since we were together and I'm not sure how much longer I'll be allowed to stay here.

I kiss the top of her head and hold her closer to me, her back flush against my chest. She stirs and turns in my arms so she faces me. Her eyelids flutter and she yawns before her eyes open and rest on mine, green connecting with hazel. We stare into each other's eyes for a long time, neither of us breaking the silence. I bring a hand up to caress her cheek, my thumb gliding across her soft skin. My eyebrows knit together as I remember last night's events.

"Are you alright?" I ask Layla, my voice rough and heavy with sleep.

"Perfect." She says.

"Why didn't you call me?" I ask her, a thread of pain seeping into my voice at the memory of the dreadful days without her call.

Layla hesitates and averts her eyes from me.

"Can we talk about this later? I'm okay now, isn't that all that matters?" She says, avoiding the question.

"Please, Layla." I say pleading with her. "Be honest with me. If something's wrong, I need to know."

"This isn't a good time," Layla starts, pausing briefly. "Or a good place." Her eyes are insistent when they lock on mine.

"But something is wrong." I say, lowering my voice to match hers. "Promise me that you'll tell me. Soon."

Layla locks my hand with hers and holds them both over her heart, her eyes screaming sincerity.

"I swear I'll tell you as soon as I can."

I breathe a small sigh of relief, my worries only subdued for the time being. Tucking Layla into my arms, I hold her tightly against my chest and press a light kiss to the top of her forehead.

A knock sounds at her door, but neither of us move to open it, still too wrapped up in each other. The door cracks open and Luca appears, anxiety radiating from him.

"Hellloooo. We have a problem on our hands." Luca says, almost impatiently.

Layla disentangles herself from my grasp and sits up in bed, her body suddenly stiff.

"What do you mean? What are you talking about?" She asks her brother.

"Momma bear knows that Asher's here." He says, looking away from the two of us. An air of awkwardness is present in the room as we all think about what he said.

"Luca! You told her?" Layla yells at him.

"It wasn't me, but I happened to tell Lily and mom heard us talking and asked what it was about. You know Lily, she can't keep her mouth shut." Luca explains.

"Luca, you little—" Layla starts before Luca cuts her off.

"You better go out there and talk to her before she comes in here." He says quickly, suggestively eyeing the two of us in Layla's bed.

"Goddammit." Layla hisses under her breath. She glares at her brother and I feel a pang of sympathy for him. I know what it feels like to be the subject of one of her glares. A shudder goes through my body at the memory. Layla gets out of bed then and the physical separation its me hard. I need her in my arms. She turns to me, a wary expression on her face.