Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Asher

I close Layla's front door behind me, but I can't bring myself to walk away from her house, from her. But I have to. So I take a deep breath of air and try not to think about the fact that even the air smells like her; salty and even a little sweet. I take a step toward the car waiting and I swear I can feel cracks fracturing my heart. This will be the first time I have ever truly been separated from Layla, the first time where I know I won't see her again the next day. As I take another step, I wonder if I'll really be able to handle this separation. It's too much.

I won't see her again until the Victory Tour. Months from now.

Panic wells up inside of me as the words circle around in my thoughts. The longest we have ever been separated was for two days, when I was healing after the games. I didn't handle that well at all. So how in the hell will I be able to leave her right now, knowing that I'll have to wake up tomorrow without her by my side.

There is no other option. I hang my head, shove my hands in my pockets and just walk. I don't let myself think about what I'm doing because if I let myself think, I won't be able to leave.

"Asher!" I jerk my head around at the sound of my name-the sound of her voice calling to me. My eyes make contact with her, the front door of her house wide open and pain all over her face. And I can't stifle the urge to run to her and hold her in my arms. I turn my body around and run. Layla stumbles away from her house and then runs toward me.

"Layla," I breathe as we meet in the middle. My arms fold around her small body as she buries her face in my chest. We shouldn't do this, add fuel to the fire. This will only make it harder for us to walk away. But I can't find it in me to let her go. I nuzzle my face into her hair and take a deep breath. Mmmm, Layla.

"Don't go, Asher," She says, looking up at me.

You know I have to, I almost say, but I can't seem to get the words out. I bring one hand up to hold her face. Our eyes lock. I rub my thumb across her cheek and I see her eyes start to fill.

"Don't cry, Layla." I beg her, desperation dripping from my voice. "I won't be able to make myself leave if you start crying." I tell her as I bring one hand up to cup her cheek. "But I have to go, love."

I make an effort to smile, but as I look in Layla's eyes, I know I'm not fooling her. She can see right through my fake smile, just as I knew she would. Time passes as we stare into each other's eyes. I'm not sure how much. But I know that my time is up and I need to go.

The Capitol car waits at the end of the driveway.

Just go, Asher. Don't linger. It'll only make it harder for you-the both of you-in the long run.

I cup Layla's face in both of my hands and lean down to press my lips softly to hers. Our kiss is slow and sweet and over too soon.

"Layla, you know this isn't goodbye." I tell her as my eyes scan over her face, pushing myself to memorize every last detail. She bites her lip as she tries to hold back tears.

"It might as well be, though."

"No. No, don't say that. I'll see you soon, Layla. We talked about this," I say, trying to convince her, as well as myself, that we'll both be okay. If we survived the games, then surely we can survive this. "And I'm going to call you as soon as I get home. Okay?"

She just nods.

"I love you, Layla."

"I love you."