Chapter Four

*

*

*

Song of the chapter:

"Death of a Bachelor" by Panic! At the Disco

*

(Isaac's POV)

*

Isaac wakes up in the morning from another white-room nightmare to see a very anxious Liam leaning over him. Liam removes his hands from Isaac's arms from where he was trying to stop the other boy's sleep movement.

"That was a close one. You woke me up thrashing and moaning like you were in pain. Were you having a nightmare?"

Isaac sits up slowly and shakes his head, disoriented.

"I'm not sure; I can't remember. Sorry I woke you up."

Liam puffs out an exhilarated sigh. "It's okay, dude. But you're lucky I woke up before the screaming started. I don't think I could have gotten you under my bed before my parents came barging in. That would have been a disaster."

Isaac nodded, agreeing with him. Liam's parents have no idea that Isaac stays over every other night. Around a month ago Isaac woke his friend's entire family up by screaming himself out of a dream.

Liam pushed him off onto the floor and Isaac got under the bed just in time for Mr. Perry to bust open the door carrying a shotgun, with Mrs. Perry right behind him with a bat.

After everyone was settled down and Liam had his parents convinced it was him who had the nightmare, and that no one was trying to kill him, Isaac crawled back out from under the bed when the door closed again.

He apologized for three straight days after that.

Grabbing his bag, Isaac passes Liam on his way to the bathroom in the hallway.

Fortunately for Isaac, Mr. and Mrs. Perry both leave the house early in the morning, so he doesn't have to sneak out of the house and go home to get ready for school.

He's stops Liam by grabbing his arm gently.

"Isaac, I know you don't want to talk about it, but telling someone about the dreams would help. You could tell me. You know I would listen."

With that, Liam walks out of the room, leaving Isaac's mind reeling with thoughts.

Isaac starts to feel guilty. He really doesn't want to tell his friend about the nightmares. Telling someone would lift a huge weight off of his chest, but he isn't ready for the look others give when they feel like you're a ticking bomb.

And that's exactly what he is- a ticking bomb, ready to blow up at any moment. Not even he knew when it would happen. Eventually, though.

Isaac showers and gets dressed, then heads downstairs.

Liam's at the stove in the big kitchen, making what smelled like bacon and pancakes. His fourteen-year-old sister, Violet, is sitting at the table doing last minute homework. She looks up when he walks in.

"Isaac, do you actually have a house or are we taking in the homeless now?" She jokes at him.

Isaac actually likes Liam's little sister. She keeps it secret that Isaac stays over and she doesn't ask questions. Violet has a very hyer and friendly personality just like her brother. She looks just like him, with straight light brown hair and big brown eyes. Not to mention the little freckles that dots her cheeks, which she hates more than Liam hates the ones on his own face.

"If anyone is homeless in here it's you, have you seen what you're wearing? And your hair, oh my gosh. Don't get me started."

She blushes and throws her pen at him.