Chapter Five

Happy New Year, guys!

*

Chapter 5

*

Song of the chapter:

Tag, You're It by Melanie Martinez

*

(Isaacs POV)

*

*

*

With Rolland leading the way, they head down the sidewalk towards his house. They both stay quiet, but Isaac is too preoccupied with his surroundings to notice. The neighborhood they're in is nice. There's kids' playing in yards and people mowing their grass. It's all completely cliché, which makes Isaac smile.

He didn't run far, maybe a mile. If he was to go through the woods on the right behind the houses he would come to the other side of Loop Road and would be near his own house. The woods there had trails throughout for biking and walking. Out of corner of his eye, Isaac can see Rolland eyeing him, spectating.

Eventually they stop in front of a two-story white house.

"This is it." Rolland says, and opens the fence into the yard.

Isaac's eyes are wide as he takes it all in. It's very nice. There's a wrap-around porch and carnations blooming in the flowerbeds. He couldn't imagine Rolland living there. Honestly, he couldn't imagine Rolland in any house, because in his mind he's just this mysterious figure he seen in a dream once. An illusion.

"You coming?"

His head snaps up to see Rolland waiting in the doorway.

He follows him inside, but not before mentally telling himself to get a grip on reality.

The house is great. Isaac looks around while Rolland heads up the staircase on the right.

"I'm gonna go grab you some clothes to wear while yours are in the wash. I'll be right back." Rolland says, his voice trailing down the stairs.

Isaac feels awkward standing in the middle of the living room by himself. He walks over to the mantel of the fireplace and studies the photographs there. There's quite a few of Rolland when he was younger. Some are of Rolland, his uncle, and a woman he assumes is his mother. They look just alike; they both have dark hair and they have the same smile.

Someone clearing their throat behind him makes him jump and turn around guiltily. He relaxes when he sees Rolland is smiling at him. He holds out a wad of clothes to Isaac, which he takes. He notices Rolland has already changed.

"There's a bathroom down the hall you can change in." Rolland says. "I'm gonna go get an ice pack for my nose and your head. You're starting to bruise and I don't even want to know what I look like right now."

Rolland's nose is starting to look like someone punched him, but Isaac doesn't say that. He starts to feel bad all over again.

"I really am sorry."

The other boy waves him off. "Its fine," he says and heads to the kitchen.

Isaac walks to the bathroom. He tries very hard not to smell the clothes like a love-struck teenager, (he is not one, damn you, Liam!), but he fails horribly. They smell like laundry detergent and faintly of old spice.

The shirt Rolland gave him is too big and he has to roll the pants up four times. He examines himself in the mirror before he leaves and sure enough he has a knot on his forehead.