13. Caught by a Stranger

The heavy rain had ceased to a light trickling by the time Cinnia, Adorno and Kieran had reached the roof of the building.  They had taken refuge under a smaller roof that covered a locked door—presumably leading to a staircase which spiralled through the building below—which jutted out far enough so that if the three pressed up against the door, only their toes would be subject to the patter of the rain.  Cinnia rubbed her ankle to ease the mild pain.

     “So what’s the plan?” Adorno asked between each sharp intake of breath.

     “I never really had time to plan the escape part of this.” Kieran said, wiping strands of soaked hair out of his eyes.

     “Great work.” Adorno muttered.

     Kieran turned to glare at him, “You could have done better, you think?  Just be glad I managed to convince Captain Gambara to wait long enough to get you out.”

     Adorno’s face grew red as his glare deepened, “Yeah, well, we’re just as close to getting out of here alive as we were before you came.  I mean, you handled that crazy witch pretty well, didn’t you?” His voice dripped with sarcasm.

     “I didn’t see you trying to convince her to help us.” Kieran shot back.

     “That’s because I was too busy getting the water of out of my underwear and boots, which got there after I saved your girlfriend from getting imprisoned, need I remind you?” The pitch of Adorno’s voice had raised a couple of octaves, and Cinnia worried someone would hear him.

    Kieran was speechless, and Cinnia knew her cheeks were flaming up.  He had called her Kieran’s girlfriend.  Cinnia refused to meet Kieran’s gaze and she decided to switch the topic, “Okay, the plan, remember?”

     “Right,” Kieran mumbled and Adorno sat back against the door with a sigh.

     Kieran collected himself quickly.  He seemed to think for a while before speaking, “We came from that direction,” He pointed behind them, “So I think the North gate, which I came through, should be there,” He pointed ahead of them.  Cinnia looked in the direction he was pointing and tried to see anything that might suggest they were close to the exit, but the hazy fog that had begin to roll in concealed any hint of hope.

     “We have to come up with a plan that allows us to sneak out unnoticed.  From what I saw, the north wall ends where the ocean begins.  Swimming around it could be an option, but I would assume the waters would be closely watched.  What do you think?” Kieran looked at Adorno and Cinnia expectantly.

     “What was around the north gate?  I mean the buildings and such.” Cinnia asked, pondering their escape route.

     “A couple of regular buildings and a stable.  Mainly trade, I believe.  It didn’t look high end, so we will fit in properly.”

     Adorno piped up, having calmed down “We can’t see anything from here, though.  Shouldn’t we move in closer?”

     Kieran replied with a frown, “But we will be safer here, thinking of how to escape.”

     Cinnia sighed, “I agree with Adorno on this one.  We need to get closer to know what we’re dealing with exactly.”

     “Bu—alright, fine.”  Kieran sighed in defeat and stood up, careful not to hit his head on the part of the roof that had covered the three.

They moved towards the ledge slowly, peering through the haze, in hopes of spotting any waiting guards.  At each end of the street below, Cinnia could just make out the flickering of the lanterns belonging to the stationed guards.  The rain had just about halted completely, something Cinnia was thankful for.  She didn’t think her slippers could handle taking in any more water.