Chapter 8

Today, is my final examination. I along with everyone else will enter their own fear landscape and hope that our times are good enough to make the top 10 and become full members of Dauntless. I am currently ranked second in the transfer group, but I could have been ranked first, I just thought it would be safer if I didn't. Since the fear landscape allows us to be aware I plan on using that to my full potential and try to make at least the top three. I haven't really thought of what job I would want but I know I don't want to work the fence and anyone under the top five normally end up there. As I enter the waiting area I see Justin sitting alone and I realize he must be ranked first after stage two. He looks nervous, when he raises his head he stares right at me and smiles. I smile back and feel my face getting hot from blushing. He smirks at me, then his name is called and he enters his fear landscape. I am watching him as he goes through his greatest fears. By the end it looks like he has 12 fears and he finishes with a good time of 10 minutes even.

After Chris finishes his landscape my turn is next. I need to make good time under 10 minutes to beat Justin and give myself a lead before the jerk, James goes after me. I walk through the doors and receive my serum from Eric, he looks at me with fire in his eyes and returns to the monitor to watch my landscape. I wish he wasn't watching, I am worried he might show up in it and the other leaders watching would know I am his sister and would make me lose my rank, possibly lose my faction.

The room goes dark. Then it is brighter than the sun and the wind blows into me at the speed of light. When it all stops I am able to finally see what is going on I look down and wish I hadn't I must be at least 100 stories high.

1. Heights. I feel my heart race but quickly remember that it is not real, I take a deep breath and jump, before hitting the bottom the room goes black. I Try to regain my composure but my back is soon slammed from behind and another from above and I fall to the ground.

2. Confinement. I think about my home, my father and I feel like that is making this so much worse, I need to break this box I think to myself and then a crowbar appears by my feet I slam it into the corner and use all my strength and open it. I stand up to feel what I can only remember as my family's coats and I know where I am.

3. My father. The closet doors open and a large hand grabs me around my neck and slams me into the wall. I feel the oxygen leaving me. It isn't real I can beat this I think to myself. Then I hear footsteps and my brother comes down the stairs I want him to help me, but I know he won't because it is all the same fear the day he hurt me most. He doesn't look like the Eric he is now though he is the Eric I knew back then. Before he can lay a hand on me though I finally think a way to stop them both of them, as soon as the thought enters my mind I hear the front door open and see my mom. It goes dark again and I fill my lungs with air once again waiting for the next thing. I am slightly surprised my fear of my father wasn't my worst fear. Then I hear a familiar voice.

"D!" I turn and see Anne, dressed in Erudite blue. I run over to her excited but then her expression changes. "I can't believe I was ever your friend. I hate you."

4. Abandonment. 

"D!" I turn around and see Justin. "I can't believe you actually thought I could like you, your nothing." 

This isn't real. This isn't real. I close my eyes and block out the voices of each person I care about as they tell me I am worthless and walk away. I take a deep breath and the voices stop. I am back in what looks like the Dauntless transfer dorm. I go to walk out but I smell smoke.

5. Trapped by fire. Fire comes all around me encircling my body and filling my lungs with dark smoke making me gag, my eyes are burning and I feel tears burning in my eyes. I need water. My throat is so dry from coughing...water. I hear a pipe burst dousing the flames, I run out of the room and smack into Eric again. Eric this time looks like Eric now, a Dauntless leader he looks at me and simply says with dead eyes "you're out." and walks away.

6. Failure. I feel my heart sink, but then I am angry. More angry then I have been in what feels like forever. I punch him in the face and say "NO!" at the top of my lungs. The room is dark again and I think to myself how many more fears are there and I wonder how long I have been doing these. I am still standing in darkness and that is when I realize what this fear is.

7. The unknown. I try desperately to feel around for anything that can help me figure out where I am, but I find nothing. My heart rate quickens and I wish for a light something to give me a glimpse of where I am. I feel the ground searching for a flashlight and finally find it. I turn it on and stand up. I feel something grab me and I try to get away.

8. Being helpless. I know that the only way to beat this is to not be helpless so I use all my strength to escape the grasp and turn and punch the faceless person in the nose. Something pulls me down and I am on my back as the room goes dark once more. I look around trying to get upright but can't get off my back. I look around. I see the familiar walls of my room, and the soft pillow under my head. I'm in bed? Why would I be in bed? Then it hits me I can't move my left arm. I look over at it and see that it is sticking over the bed.

9. The boogeyman. I see dark shadows of long bony finger creep up over the side of the bed. It grabs onto my arm and I am no longer frozen I am falling into the depths of the world of fear. I see the dark blood red eyes of the boogeyman staring at me and snarling. My heart feels like it is going to explode I am frozen with fear, not this anything but this. I can't beat something that isn't real. It isn't real it isn't real. I scream "You're not real!" The lights come on. I feel tears in my eyes. I see the doors open and in walks the one person I really don't want to see right now, Eric.

"Congrats on completing your fear landscape you did well." Eric says coldly, emotionless. "You had nine fears and a time of 7 minutes 52 seconds." 

He places his hand on my shoulder and gives it a small squeeze. I quickly remove it and walk out the door, where I see Justin waiting for me making me smile a bit. I feel Eric's eyes on me as I leave hand in hand with Justin.

"I can't believe you beat my landscape in both time and fear numbers. Your amazing D."

"Thanks Justin." 

We are walking to the chasm, trying to find someplace not completely swarmed with drunken loud Dauntless. When we get there I see Four and Tris. I tell Justin I will be right back and run up to them.

"Hey D." They say at the same time.

"Hey, I need to talk to you guys about something, but not here can we meet at the trains around 11?"

They look at each other Tris shrugs and Four nods his head.

"Thanks." I yell back as I go back to Justin. 

He looks at me as if wanting an answer to an unspoken question.

"Don't worry about it."

We continue to walk. We talk about anything and everything, and steal a kiss, or two, or twenty. When it is time for the banquet we walk in and sit at our normal table with our friends. Eric gets up on a table and starts talking about Dauntless, I zone out till he says here are the rankings.

I look and a huge smile forms on my face and Justin pulls me into a hug and gives me a passionate loving kiss.

1. D
2. Justin
3. Buckley
4. James
5. Chris
6. Brandon
7. Ryan
8. Kyle
9. Lucy
10. Kory
11. Mikey (factionless)
12. Kyle (Factionless)

"So what job are you going to pick?" Chris asks. 

I hadn't thought about that yet.