Chapter 6

Poe's dad served us food and sat down at the end of the table. You looked at Poe. "Do you have a mother...," you asked hesitantly. Poe looked at you and shook his head. "She died when I was eight," he said quietly. "I don't have any parents. They left me when I was younger," you said quietly.

Poe scooted his chair over and hugged you tightly. "Well now you have me, kid," he said with a small smile. "Yeah," you said, hugging him back. His dad smiled softly at the two of you. Poe let go of you and started to eat.

"So is she your girlfriend," Poe's father teased. "No," Poe said, blushing a little. "She was an orphan. I thought you wouldn't mind if I took her in." His father nodded. "Of course she can stay," he said. "Your mother would be proud of you..."

Poe didn't respond. You leaned over to him, hugging him. "It's been a rough day for you two, hasn't it," his father asked. Poe nodded and looked up at her. "I got the results for the pilot exam back," Poe said. "I didn't get permission to join early. Another kid scored higher than me and got the admission."

"Oh, I'm so sorry, buddy," his father said. Poe just shrugged. "You're a pilot," you asked him quietly. "Yeah. I wanna join the Rebel Alliance," the boy answered. "I want to join as well, as a pilot, but I'm not gonna be any good," you explained quietly.

"I'll teach you," he said, suddenly quite excited and alive. You smiled. "You would do that," you asked. "Of course," Poe answered. "We're gonna be the best pilots the Resistance has ever seen!" You laughed and looked at him. "(Y/N) and Poe! Poe and (Y/N)! We're going to be the perfect team," he continued, throwing his arms in the air.

His father sighed and laughed. "You two are too cute," his father said with a laughed. "Why thank you sir," Poe responded with a grin. You chuckled and sat back. "I think that comment was more directed toward me," you commented. "Nah. Not with that face," Poe answered, making you get a bit offended. "If we were talking about you it wouldn't be cute, it would be beautiful," he added, causing you to blush.

"Poe. Stop flirting with the poor girl," his father said. "As I said earlier, I bailed her out of jail and gave her a place to live, so we're practically married now," Poe said, causing you to crack up laughing. His dad sighed, a look of pure disappointment on his face.

"And anyways, she's my best friend now," Poe said, wrapping his arm around your shoulder. "He's my only friend," you said back. "Which automatically makes me her best friend," he continued your sentence with a laugh. "(Y/N) and Poe, the bestest friends in the world!"