Part 2

Chris and you follow his mother as she unlocks her front door, allowing all of you to tumble inside the house, Chris still carrying all of the bags.

It was getting late, the sun had gone down several hours ago and all the streetlights had already come on, illuminating the glittering snow covering every inch of the outside.

It was beautiful.

But very cold.

And you were an indoor person.

"Thank you for letting me stay with you," you say, stomping the snow off your boots by the placemat near the front door. "I appreciate it."

"Oh, no problem," Chris mother chuckles, shirking out of her coat, the house very warm and comfortable. "I've slept on that roll out bed, you would stand a better chance of sleeping on the floor."

You smile.

"I'll just run these upstairs," Chris says, glancing between you and his mother as he hefts the bags higher on his shoulder.

"Alright, dear. I imagine you're just going to put all of it in one room?"

What?!

You and Chris just look at her.

She knew?

A knowing smile curves her lips.

"Did you really think I wouldn't notice? I've seen the two of you grow up, I know how you act around each other; Chris can't seem to keep his hands off you now. How long have you been dating?"

You look at Chris.

It was his mother, he could answer.

"Around three months," he shifts, his face flushing beneath his mothers gaze. "We wanted to make sure it wasn't a mistake before we said anything. We came home to announce it, but -."

"Sabrina's pregnancy got in the way," your mother sighs, shaking her head. "That poor girl, she's about to learn what marriage is all about now; having kids changes everything."

Well.

You and Chris glance at each other.

"I'll be right back," he mutters, high tailing it for the stairs.

His mother chuckles.

"Come on, (Y/N), let's have a drink, shall we? I think we both need one after the day we've had."

You nod gratefully.

That sounded like a wonderful idea to you.

You follow her into the kitchen, waiting by the counter as she steps into her pantry and peruses her wine collection; why else would Chris know so much about them but not drink himself?

His mother was a connoisseur.

"Ah, this one is appropriate," she chuckles, picking out one of her favorites. She quickly collects two glasses and pours you each a full cup, at which you raise your brows too.

"Just for relaxing," his mother says at your expression. "And we need a full glass, don't you think?"

"I'm not arguing," you sigh, lifting up the glass and looking at the rosy liquid.

You hate spending time with your family.

You weren't sure how many more ways you could make that clear.

The fact you didn't have to sleep under the same roof as them only made the entire situation a little easier for you.

"So, you and Sydney still don't get along, I see."