Book 3⌇6. Betrayal

Chapter 6 ∣  Betrayal

-Evicka

I don't know when I'd fallen into darkness again, but I do remember the warmth that pulsates within my heart, pulling me back from the depths of that endless abyss. It's the same blood as before. I can feel the metallic reside of Orion's blood lingering in my mouth as my eyelids slowly begin to open.

I don't know how much longer I can do this. I want to give up...

...he won't let me.

My eyes adjust and I'm able to see Orion kneeling beside me.

Lucca is-

"Lucca!" My hoarse voice nearly goes silent as my heartbeat suddenly increases on its own, my love standing right next to Orion. His furrowed brows relax, breathing out a sigh of relief that had been caught in his lungs. "Bu-but-" confusion races through me, my eyes shifting back and forth between Orion and Lucca, unsure of what I'm seeing is real.

"Angel," Lucca smiles warmly, bringing out a renewed strength to keep pushing forward and fighting...not just for this little being...but to stop the fighting between our species. Orion didn't kill my father and my mother when he easily could have.

He stopped.

Can I change his mind?

"I'm going to leave you two," Orion's statement brings my attention back to him, "I'll be back in a while. Now, I don't know how you did it, Evicka, but I wouldn't try escaping again...there will be ten hunters guarding the door, so get comfortable."

I'm not running.

Lucca just stares at Orion like he's crazy for letting us stay alone together, along with apparently not injecting Lucca with undiluted silver.

Orion rises to his feet, heading toward the office door before saying, "If you leave," he looks me dead in the eyes, "I will kill them all."

I can't stop the goosebumps that cover my skin with the iciness he holds in his voice. He takes the handle in his hand and exits the office, closing the door behind him. The sound of the lock turning into place is the last we hear of him.

"Lucca," I can't control the tears that fall down my face. Lucca kneels beside me, wrapping his arms around me in a loving embrace. Love...I've missed him so much and finally seeing him again reminds me, that everyone can have a future if this fighting will just end.

"Evie..." his voice trails off, his nose burying between my neck and collarbone, breathing me in deeply. I can't say I not doing the same, taking in his wonderful sandalwood scent. My arms wrap around the back of his neck, holding him close to me, afraid if I release him, I will never be allowed to hold him again.

Startling Lucca and myself, I feel a powerful movement from within my abdomen. Lucca pulls back away from me, trailing his eyes over my body until they reach the rapidly growing bump I can no longer hide. He places the palm of his right hand against my bare skin, immediately receiving another movement aimed to touch him back.

"It's strong," Lucca marvels.

"And I'm weak," I return, not feeling at all like myself.

"I'm sorry," Lucca whispers, wrapping one arm under my bent legs and the other around my back, lifting me up from the couch. He turns us around, sitting down and pulling me close to him as I sit on his lap sideways.

"You've waited long enough, angel," Lucca's voice is calming, pulling me deeper into his warmth. I know what he means. I can't ignore that undeniable call to his blood once again, just like I had when we were bonded. Lucca's strong arm pull me up, my head resting just under his chin. He tilts his chin away, exposing his vulnerable neck to me.