Book 3⌇9. Erebus

Chapter 9 ∣  Erebus

-Evicka

"I don't understand why this keeps happening to her...please..." Lucca's voice is quite distant, my senses completely numb as I attempt to move any part of my body. It's in vain, as nothing seems to be real around me.

"How long has this been happening?" An eerily powerful voice responds to my love.

It's Lucca's worried response that has me fearful, "Since the very beginning."

"You're both purebloods, I don't see why this being growing inside of her would be killing her," the voice questions Lucca, perturbed by his statement.

Lucca...

"She's awake!" Lucca hastily informs the unknown stranger, his voice is alarmed, as though I'd been asleep for a very long time.

Have I been? I only remember falling...the darkness consuming me as the snow drifts around the two of us.

"Lucca," the voice is further away, moving around my frozen body, "what aren't you telling me?"

It goes completely silent.

"Please, tell my husband. It won't do you any good hiding secrets here. You've come so far and to the ends of this world to find us...please be honest," an angelic voice announces the presence of a female. I can note how close she is, as though checking on me to make sure I'm not completely lost.

Lucca, what's going on?

"She's part hunter...and she possesses blood magic," Lucca's voice is full of regret, pained for the situation I'm in.

"What?!" The man's voice is in shock. "H-how?"

"Her parents are Locaine and a hunter with blood magic who was turned into a vampire, Annika," Lucca replies, sadness tinged with each word he speaks.

This is my fault, isn't it?

Don't you dare think that!

"This is Locaine's daughter?! You two, should never have mated..." the man speaks, his voice coming closer to me, "...each time she tries to, or succeeds, in using her blood magic, that unborn child is taking away her energy, her ability to control her magic, and her very life. You two have created a very powerful being...one that should not come into this world."

"That can't be true!" Lucca's voice is harsh, "How could we have known?"

"You couldn't have," the woman's voice is reassuring, trying to bring some light to the situation.

"Why...why is it taking everything away from her?! Why is it making her this weak? I just don't understand..." Lucca is frustrated, the resonating sound of something smashing into a solid surface startles my motionless body.

"Purebloods are one of the most powerful supernatural creatures," the man states, "you should know that. Now, the most powerful trait of a hunter is blood magic. That pureblood is going to siphon everything to make itself stronger. Each time she uses blood magic, it is like opening a door, allowing this being to take everything it wants."

"Why didn't this happen with Locaine and Annika?" Lucca questions.

"One was a pureblood and the other a turned hunter...she took on both characteristics. She could have easily ended up as a normal vampire with blood magic. There is no telling what the gene pool is going to pull. But not with you two...this being is guaranteed to be a pureblood," the man sighs, his voice strained, "do you know the gender?"

"It's male," Lucca is confused by his question, not knowing what it has to do with anything.

The man is silent for a moment before revealing, "From what I know...male hunters with blood magic are much stronger and have a deeper connection to its ability. It wants to take everything...it wants power."