Book 3⌇17. Lives Intertwined

Chapter 17 ∣  Lives Intertwined

-Evicka

I'm not dead...

...I can hear you.

The death-like status of my body is causing Lucca tremendous pain, the torment filling his body and flowing throughout it. This agony, radiates from his touch, thrumming against my skin as his emotions have me desperately wanting to let him know I'm okay.

Lucca, please, don't cry for me love.

Each time I attempt to contact him, he won't answer me, showing any response that he understands what I'm trying to say to him.

I'd almost died. Lifting the veil between my blood magic connection and myself had allowed this little being to take control. It wasn't siphoning from me maliciously. No, it was trying to protect the vampire hunter who had saved him and myself twice. If it wasn't for his blood bringing my stilled heart back to life, we both would have died long ago in the underground hunter city. We owed him a debt we were finally able to repay him.

"Damn it, Evie!" Lucca is trying to understand what I've done, "Why? Why couldn't you just listen to me? Just this once?! Why?!"

I'm so sorry...it wasn't just me...

The little being isn't even born and it had already manipulated blood magic. The fact it will be a pureblood vampire scares me that this being is about to become the most powerful presence to reside on this Earth. I only hope it is of kind heart like the rest of the vampires I know are.

Unfortunately...

...it appears the only way I will live at this point, will be to relinquish my control, surrendering my blood magic to my unborn child. Giving him my power will end this grip he continues to want to have over me.

Again...it's just instinct...for a pureblood to want absolute power.

Maybe Orion is right about that.

Can Lucca and I guide this child toward the values our race wants?

To follow the rules of an agreement between vampires and hunters?

I know that Kadessa and Enock are dead and that Zak's blood magic trait has been unlocked with Janie's death. So, there is nothing standing in the way of an agreement to take place.

Except for me.

They are crying and grieving...over me.

I can go back anytime...

I must abdicate my blood magic.

Completely.

Am I being selfish?

Wanting to hold onto the one thing that makes me different?

The one thing that had aided me in finding my parents?

The one thing that had given me the edge to end Ronan's life?

Can I live with just being a vampire?

What will Lucca think of me now?

Will Lucca blame this little being, condemning and resenting him for what he will inevitably force me to do?

In the heart of my chest within me, it feels like my hand is clutched tightly around a small beating globe of iridescent achromatic light. The steady pulsating warmth travels the length of my body, reaching out to my outer limbs and rushing back. My blood magic had stopped my actual heart and lungs, the blood creeping on its own through my organs to sustain me.