-36-

We stopped walking as we came to the same clearing that Luci had brought me to only hours before. The only reason I knew was because of the scorch marks on the surrounding trees, charred by the accidental fire ball I created from my wings when trying to create a football... apparently, I was concentrating too hard...

"What is it that you wanted to show me?" I asked as he let go of my hand and sat cross-legged on the ground, not caring about the dirt and rocks.

His lips arched into a small smile, his golden honey coloured eyes glinting in the sparse light piercing between the gaps in the canopy above our heads. "I'm not quite sure if you'll see them... I could see yours..."

"See what? My what?"

"Wings," he clarified and my eyes widened in response, "When you put your wings out before, back at the house, I could see them so clearly... it frightened me at first but then I saw their beauty..."

"Why is that so special? Dad can see them, Luci can-" He cut through my confusion with his calm tone and kind expression.

"Your Dad can see them only because you are direct family. You can see his but I can't, despite him being my brother - we're not that closely related due to the fact we were created, not conceived. As for Lucifer, he can only see the effects of the flames - the charring or burning - he can't see the actual wings... Only-" he trailed off, looking away from me and avoiding eye contact before muttering the rest of the sentence under his breath.

"I'm sorry, what was that?" I strained my ears to hear him but it was still inaudible.

He went bright red as the intensity of my gaze forced him to look up at me, "Uh... I said... that only..." he continued to mutter something, "...can see each other's wings..."

"Only what?" It was getting ridiculous, now - what was he hiding from me?

Reluctantly, he took a deep breath, "Soulmates, okay? Only soulmates can see each other's wings..."

I choked on air for a moment and his eyes got sadder, "You think... that I'm your soulmate?"

"I understand if you're repulsed by the idea... it would explain why I fell for you so rapidly... your eyes, your smile..." he trailed off again, coughing awkwardly, "I just thought we could check and make sure... see if you could see my wings... If you don't want to, I-"

"Show me," I cut him off abruptly, pressing a finger against his lips to shush him as he looked up at me in bewilderment, "Show me your wings."

"Um... okay... I'd close my eyes, if I were you. They're quite bright..." he advised, standing up in front of me as I scuttled backwards to give him some space. Quickly, as he took another deep breath, I clamped my eyes shut, covering them with both hands and probably looking like an absolute idiot but I'd prefer to keep my eyesight than look like a supermodel...

Even through my hands and eyelids, light still warmed my skin and I could see a yellow-y white fire ignite in front of me. Though tempted, I kept my eyes firmly shut until the glare died down and Gabe gave me the cue to open them.

"You can look, now..." he breathed, sounding tired.

Cautiously, I pried open my eyelids and removed my hands from my face, gasping at the magnificent sight before my eyes. At first, I could only see hints of gold mist hanging around Gabe's shoulders and arms but as my eyes focused, I saw them.

His wings.

Six huge, golden brown wings, folded over each other like a perfectly assembled jigsaw, each one covered in thousands of small, intricate feathers. I stood up, never tearing my gaze away from the beautiful things as I ran my eyes over every feather, every wave, every change in colour. They seemed to sparkle in the sunlight, a stream of glittering magic running from the tips to Gabe's shoulders, matching the shade of his eyes exactly.

"G-Gabe..." I stuttered as he searched my face, desperate for some sort of reaction, "T-they're beautiful..."

"You can see them?" he asked hopefully and elatedly, his eyes shining as I nodded, "Oh my father, I was right!" He grabbed me suddenly in his overwhelming excitement, pulling me into a crushing hug as I giggled, "I can't believe it, I was right!"

"Y-yeah..." I said shakily, smiling against his chest as his wings arched around us, "Gabe? Can I t-touch them?" I looked up into his eyes pleadingly and he sighed, half with happiness and half with something else I could quite make out...

There was a slightly panicked look in his eyes, "Uh, yeah... just, y'know, be gentle... They got beat up pretty bad by Michael..." My heart shattered at the sudden sadness in his eyes as his voice became hoarse at the memories. I swore when I met Michael, he was gonna pay for what he did...

"Hey..." I shushed, caressing his face with the back of my hand. Cautiously, I reached my other hand out to the feathers nearest to his shoulder, beginning to stroke them gently as Gabe let out a sigh. "Is this okay?"

He nodded, closing his eyes in what looked like bliss, "I-It's more than okay... no one has ever touched my wings with their hands before, I didn't know how good it felt..."

"You trying to tell me you're getting off on this?" I laughed as I moved my other hand to caress his lower wing, causing him to moan unintentionally as I stroked along it, straightening out the crooked ones. "These are seriously in need of some love, Gabe... There's crooked ones and blood on some..."

"I wouldn't argue if you wanted to sort them out for me," he hinted through a happy sigh, leaning his head back, "This is better than sex..."

"So you are getting off on it?" I smirked, making a bowl of warm, soapy water appear beside me as I gestured for him to sit down but, before I knew it, we were back in the motel room, sat on the bed.

"It was cold," he explained before turning his back to me so I could reach his wings better, "Carry on..."

I chuckled lightly, picking up a cloth and dipping it into the water before carefully wiping away a large spot of blood that was staining the arch of Gabe's middle left-hand wing. He flinched slightly as I caught the gash with some soap but soon relaxed again as I touched it gently, sealing it up with my own grace.

I continued this for quite a while, running his feathers beneath my fingers and smiling at his groans of pleasure as I did. After about an hour, I checked them over once more to see if I'd missed anything but everything seemed to be in order now. I leaned back and Gabe let out a whine at the loss of contact, "Why'd you stop?"

"They're clean and healed, except for the big scars because they won't fix completely," I told him and he hummed a response.

"Good..." I gave the back of his head a questioning look as he turned to face me, pushing me into the pillows and straddling my waist, "You have no idea how long it feels like I haven't kissed you..." He swooped down and melded my lips with his, moaning at the contact, "Your hands were driving me crazy..."

I grinned into the kiss before reaching up and stroking the parts of his wings I could reach from where I lay. He groaned into my open mouth, letting me deepen the kiss as his body was overwhelmed with feeling.

There was no doubt... we were soulmates...