What The Meteor Left Behind...2

My eyes fluttered open as I realized I was not in cold water anymore, but in the backseat of a car, driving hurriedly to an unknown destination.

I tried to sit up, to at least be able to look out the window, but my hands were badly cut, and they prevented me from doing anything more than a soft groan.

"Your awake.  Good."  The person in the passenger seat said, who I dizzily realized was a lady in her thirties.  She never turned to look at me, drenched and dirty.

"W-who are y-you?  W-where am I?  Where a-are we g-going?"  I stuttered, suddenly very cold from my clothes sticking unpleasently to my body.

"That all will be answered in time, Serafina.  Time."  She said, still barely casting a glance at me through the rearview mirror.

"My name... How do you know it?"  I asked, not stuttering.

"We all know it, sweetheart.  The only surviver in the meteoroid crash, now dubbed as 'Firestarter'."  She said, and before I knew what was happening, she stepped out of the car, and my door was opened, but it was not the lady who opened it.  It was an extremely gorgeous teenage guy my age.

'Hi, Serafina.  Welcome home."  He grinned, before taking my hand and leading me unsteadily out of the car and into bright light.

I threw my hands up to shield my eyes, but the breaking sun through my fingers vanished as we entered a building, with people buzzing around in business suits, millitary suits, and just casual teens.  Wait, teens?

"Home?"  My brain just realized he said this as I looked around, the mangled mess I was.

"Yes, dear.  You will be living here, since your home and family were destroyed in the inferno.  I am terribly sorry."  The lady said, giving me a sad smile, before asking me to enter her office.

"Um..."  Was all I could manage, since I was still numb to not having any family members anymore or a place to call home...

But, I have one now.  This place is my 'Home' apparently.  This will never feel like the place I grew up in.  Never.

"Nobody knows you were the only survivor.  When you fleed, and fell asleep floating down the stream, we rescued you when one of our Projectors saw you.  You nearly drowned, if it weren't for the waist high water, the slow drift, and lack of waterfalls, both minor and serious.  So, here we are now.  Waiting to assit you and analyze you."

"Excuse me?  Analyze me for what?"  I asked, a bit bewildered.

"To see if you have potential in becoming a full-fledge member of the NGOJ,"  She paused, noting my confusion.  "The NGOJ stands for Next Generation Of Justice.  If you do not have a gift, then you will have to work here to pay your rent.  Each person, or rather teen, whom lives here, has to pay rent through service.  Such as, our Projectors.  They see onto different planes with astral projection, and if they didn't find you, you'd be dead or abandoned by now."  She smiled sweetly, and flicked her hair, before taking my hand.

"You must have the wrong girl."  I said simply, trying to take my hand away from her's, but to no avail.

"We do not make mistakes."  She said.

"Well, what am I supposed to do now?  Since you 'took' me?"  I asked, almost sneering the blackmail into her face.

Her expression grew hard, and she took her hand away.  "Analysis, and the enfirmary."  She got up, and walked around her desk to the door.  She pulled open the wooden face, before turning to me.  I saw that guy against the wall, looking at me.  "By the way, Serafina, you can call me Terry."  She said, before leaving me staring after her and the door swiftly shutting.

I decided then that I should go, and when I pulled the door open, none other than the gorgeous boy who helped me out of the car stood to lead me down the hall, a smile and arrogance suffocationg his good looks came to play.  But, in his eyes, there was more to it.  Pain?  Grief?  Sorrow?  Agony?  I didn't know which, nor did I care.  He was just an arrogant Playboy.

"Let's take a tour on your new home, roomie."  He said, laughing before placing an arm on my shoulders.

"Get.  Off."  I huffed, grabbing his wrist, and in a flash I had him pinned on the ground, gasping for air.

"Oh my gosh, I am so sorry!"  I let go of his wrist and shoulder, and stood up to help him.

"What was that?"  He asked, rubbing the back of his neck and trying to ball up his hand.

"I don't know.  I've never done that before."  I said, slightly shuddering at the force and the speed I used, noting it was very inhuman.

"Well, you certainly fit in here.  I guess we all were wrong.  We thought you'd work as a maid or a servant, maybe even a waitress!  We didn't think you'd be like us, sorta."  He said to me, more like himself.

"Well, I guess I just proved you all wrong?"  I answered in a question, because I wasn't sure if I should speak and interrupt his train of thought.

"Yes, you did.  I'm Caleb by the way."  He stuck out the hand that was wringing his neck, but thought better of it as I showed him my bloody, cut up palms.  They are hurting me so bad.

"You may already know this, but I'm Seraphina."  I said, before wandering down a random hallway, in hopes of the awkward silence to pass.