Chapter 4

James handed me four Spider Mechs and two controllers.

“I’ve given them a complete overhaul. Now it looks like a real spider instead of a robot spider. And it won’t make noise when it moves. The C4 is stronger as well and they are able to jump a higher distance.”

I handed two Spider Mechs and a controller to Andrew. He looked exited; he always looked that way, especially when getting new equipment.

“When you go to Russia tomorrow it should be perfect for any sort of reconnaissance you might want to have on the military base.”

“These things look awesome,” Andy said, playing with the Spider Mech with his fingers.

“It’s not a toy Andy. These things could very well blow of your freaking head,” James said.

“I’m a trained professional James. I know it’s not I toy,” Andy said, still playing with it as if it was a toy.

“I’m starting to regret giving him the damn Spider Mechs,” I mumbled to myself.

“I heard you!”

“Dosen’t really matter to me.”

“Okay, fine. I won’t play with it.”

Andy put the Spider Mech in a small compartment in his backpack.

“See? All gone,” he said.

“How did you even get into the Ultimates?” James asked.

“I’m a trained professional. Man, you’re such an ass.”

“What?”

“That was an ass’ question.”

“This is an ass’ argument!” I shouted.

Everyone was silent when I said that. They knew what I said was true. James looked a bit scared; as if any moment I was going to attack him. Andrew looked embarrassed. I didn’t normally resort to shouting at people, especially grown men but they were acting ridiculous.

“You’re both adults and you’re acting like children.”

They were both still quiet.

“I’m going,” I said. I walked out of the room and as I was walking out of the central area one of the Ultimates, Chuck, who was from Britain, stopped me.

“Harris, Torov told me to tell you that you have a meeting with General Raymond here at three.”

“Yeah, sure. Thanks Chuck.”

“Anytime.”

The main area was silent when I walked in. I was on time but the General was already there so he must have come early. He was alone, patiently waiting and he wasn’t speaking to anyone. He had a broad smile on his face when I entered the room.

“Come in! Come in Mr. Harris!”

I took a seat beside him and shook his hand firmly.

“I understand that you’ll be going to Russia to aid significantly in defeating our adversaries from behind enemy lines.”

“Yes sir. Along with my partner, Andrew.”

“Yes. I spoke to him earlier. Fine man.”

“Boy, maybe,” I murmured.

“Excuse me?”

“What is it sir?”

“Did you say something?”

“No sir.”

“Okay then. Back to business. You might need someone to talk to back here. You will refer to him as “Maple.” Your name for the mission will be ‘Snake’ and your friend’s name will be ‘Wolf.’ Of course you will receive your equipment tomorrow but since you are going to a Russian barracks then we think that your weapons should be the ones that you get at the barracks.”

“Yes sir.”

“I think that your contact will be here soon.”

It was only about two minutes until he walked to the door. We both looked in the direction of the doors sliding open automatically and revealing the tall, unnaturally stern and stiff image of Seth.