3.

lo siento, lo siento, let's take our time

CHAPTER - THREE

Memories

THREE YEARS AGO

"What is she eating? That looks like a dildo," Ali comments, staring at someone.

"It's a chocolate covered banana, idiot. They sell it at the store down the street." I say, laughing. Ali laughs too and we high five.

"I failed math," May runs in, dropping on her seat at our lunch table dramatically.

There's lots of noise and clatter surrounding us. May groans, tilting her head back. Whenever we're in here, she refuses to even glance in the way of the cheerleading squad's table. She says it hurts too much. I'm sure it does. These girls just abandoned her, it must have been hurtful.

"So did I," Ali groans.

"Well, maybe if you both opened a book once in a while, you wouldn't be failing," Peter teases. He's always had a bit of a crush on Ali. Ever since they became friends when she was crying about her kiss with Jake after which he made her out to be a slut to the entire team and everyone else in school. Ali smiles at Peter, ruffling his hair with a laugh.

"Well, sorry I'm not born Asian and have weird eyes and a genius mind," May counters. I don't know why she had to say that. It was necessary. I didn't take offense to it but others might. "Speaking of Asians, did you see that article about the animals that the Chin-." I stop her there because I'm tired of hearing her speak.

I cock a brow and lean my upper body closer to the table. "You know I'm half Indian right?" I ask her. She nods.

"Yeah, so?" May asks, twirling a strand of hair around her finger, sharing a laugh with Ali.

"What you said was kinda-." I roll my eyes, "-Actually, not kinda. It was really racist." I tell her. May narrows her eyes, looking at John who's silently sitting behind me, playing with a lighter. He's not paying much attention, he never does. He talks to me once they all leave but apart from that, he keeps his talking minimal. May looks to Peter who shrugs.

"How's it racist to you? You're not Asian." May says, stuffing a fry in her mouth. I press my lips together thinking how to educate my very uneducated friend on how wrong her comment is.

"Well, think of the world map, May," I tell her. She purses her lips. "If you're really picturing it in your head, then you'll know that India is a part of Asia," I tell her. "So basically I'm Asian-" I shrug. "-And...stop being a racist." I bite the inside of my cheek. May flushes in embarrassment, cheeks turning red. She mouths a sorry. I nod. Ali looks at me closely.

"Is that why you have two-toned lips?" Ali asks. I roll my eyes.

"Oh my god, you guys are the worst." I inwardly groan. "Bye idiots," I tell. I have to print out something at the library anyway. I get up and pick up my bag, heading out with a wave. On the way, I make a detour for the bathroom. I'm finishing up in one of the stalls when there are voices. I recognize them - Blair and Christen, May's friends from cheerleading. I look from within the slit in the door. Blair and Christen are hugging.