5.

who dat, who dat, who dat boy

red velvet is my favorite gg 

CHAPTER - FIVE

Socializing

"You're coming, Eileen. That's it." Mom commands with stern eyes.

I lean against the doorframe, hands across my chest. Mom's folding her sweaters. She has enough space in her wardrobe to hang the sweaters but she prefers to fold them and tuck them away, choosing to hang her tops and dresses instead.

I watch carefully, debating what to say and if I want to say anything at all. My mom was pretty stubborn and her word was kinda law around the house. But today, I wasn't ready to listen. I pull out the little cushiony chair by her dresser and sit on it.

"We don't know them, why should we go?" I ask, biting my lip.

My mom stops for a second and looks at me. Then she resumes folding up her sweaters. "To get to know them," She says. Putting the pile of sweaters into her wardrobe, she next starts hanging up her tops. "Also, your father is in business with this man. Keeping good relations with them is important." Mom pauses, lifting a top and looking at it carefully before tossing it to her 'no' pile - the clothes she's planning to donate. "And to keep good relations means that we have to meet them - often. Like for dinner tonight." Mom says with a slight smirk.

I press my lips together.

Evelyn walks in, shoulders sagging and gets on the bed. I watch as she flips over to her stomach and looks at my mom. "Do they have kids?" Evelyn asks. Mom lifts her eyes to her.

"They do. Two, actually. A son and a daughter. They both go to your school." Mom says, finishing hanging up her tops. She sits beside Evelyn on the bed then, patting her head. "The son is Eileen's age. And the daughter is in middle school." Mom adds, smiling down at Evelyn. Evelyn opens her mouth but my mom cuts her off. "I haven't seen him so I don't if he's 'hot'-" My mom says, using finger quotes, "-Also, don't ask me questions like that," Mom says.

"Well, I didn't exactly ask but okay," Evelyn mockingly says. Mom glares at her and she grins back.

"And when we're at their place, refrain from questions about their family or something related to that." Mom suddenly adds. Evelyn raises a brow. "They had this other daughter who passed away." Mom continues. I nod, not knowing how to respond. "This dinner is really important for your father, girls. All I ask is that you stay on your best behavior and not cause any trouble." Mom says, looking at the both of us. "Or say something stupid." She teasingly glares at Evelyn before tying her hair into the bun, leaving to prepare for tonight. She shouts a 'get ready' from the hallway and that has Evelyn sitting up.

"Why do you wanna know if he's hot? You have a boyfriend." My comment comes out more snarky than I intended it to. Evelyn smirks, shaking her head. She knows we have thin walls and she knows that sometimes I unintentionally listen to what's going on in her bedroom.

"Diego's not my boyfriend...more of an acquaintance?" Evelyn says. "Or is booty call a better word for it?" She thinks out loud. I make a disgusted face, holding up a hand. She lets out a subtle laugh, falling back onto the bed again. I get up, heading for the door when I pause. I knew Evelyn and I knew she was someone who'd never cross her limits. And even though she and I had never had that sister bond, I felt a strong need to remind her to stay focused.