Chapter-23: Fatal Mistake

(A/N: Aha. So finally we made to 60k reads on Broken Hearts and 1k followers on Wattpad. Milestone yeah? I agree it was a long journey but it couldn't have been possible without you all. My followers are one of the reasons I am alive. Finally we are a 1k family and I am feeling overwhelmed. Thank you all for your support. Special thanks to sasha041995 TaNu2709 partholic_isha TeeGee_TG thegirlinpinksocks flighhigh Iluvpani_xoxo and my new online friend MaNanForever0811 for your support. Means a lot to me. Thanks for everything. Love you all to infinity. And this goes to all my followers are regular commenters too. Sorry if I haven't mentioned your names but you all are near and dear to me. Stay blessed. Love you all loads.)
----------

We went back home. Manik was depressed and so was I. I tried my level best to seem happy but I couldn't.

I went to our room and lied on the bed. I rolled and twirled but I couldn't sleep. Something was disturbing me. Manik was not okay. I had promised Uncle but...

That was when Manik stepped into the room, with food in a plate. He sat on the bed and fed me with his hand.

"Manik, did you eat?" He sat, reaction-less.

"Manik?" I called out again but he seemed to be in deep thought.

"Manik..." I shook him and he came back to his senses.

"Haan?"

"Kya hua? See, agar kuch hai toh you can share it with me. You know that na?" I put my hand on his thigh and talked to him.

"Hmm..." He continued feeding me. I fed him too and he ate without any tantrums. After eating, he went to keep the plate downstairs while I washed my hands.

"Manik, tumhe kuch baat karni thi na?" I asked, as we sat on the bed.

"Haan... Voh Abhi..." He said and I had a vague idea about what he was talking about. At least, I thought so.

"Oh, Abhimanyu?" I asked and sighed. He must've got to know why we separated for a week.

"Abhimanyu ne kaha ki..." I stopped him mid-sentence.

"Haan voh... Thank God tumhe pata chala." I said. I really didn't know how he would react if he got to know my best friend tried to kill him.

"Matlab voh sacchh tha?" His eyes widened. I nodded.

"Haan. Kyun?" I said, casually. If only I knew what I was doing. If only I knew he meant something else. He got so angry, he chucked a lamp off the bedside table and it broke into pieces. I closed my ears and he stormed out.

"Ayyappa, ab isse kya hua? Itna gussa?" He was getting so angry for something that actually sounded funny to me. I followed him downstairs.

"Manik, kya hua?" I called from behind him and he turned. His eyes were bloodshot and I didn't know how deep this issue was getting into.

"Nandini, why didn't you tell me? I mean, I thought at least you would tell me stuff but you also..." He made a disgusted face and it hurt me.

"Manik, aisa nahi hai. I didn't know how to tell you. You already hated him na?" I tried justifying myself.

"Haan toh even now I hate him goddamnit! And now I hate him even more. But you? I never thought you would do this. You are nothing less than my so-called friends. I don't believe in love. I can never fall in love. I don't love you. I hate you." I knew he didn't mean any of what he said. He was just angry.