Chapter-25: Sorry

(A/N: First of all, I would like to thank you all for being very patient and I would also like to apologize for the delay. I am extremely sorry guys. Maaf kardo, please? Now the good news is, boards khatam. So that means I'm free to write now. Which also means I would be ready to update regularly, given that I get good response from you all. Since many of you insisted for this part, I am writing it so I am expecting about 200 comments, as usual. Who wants the next part? Condition yaad rakhna. Now padhlo. Cheers.)

------------

I woke up after almost 12 hours. Navya was sitting beside me, caressing my head. I held her hand and placed it on my tummy.

"Thanks Navya." I owed her many explanations but she didn't mind. She still cared for me, unlike someone supposedly closer to me. But there was something different about her. Perhaps she was hiding a lot behind that fake smile.

"Navya, kya hua?" I looked at her and asked. I was afraid. If she said something I wouldn't want to hear, I couldn't take the pain. My hand caressed my tummy.

"Nandini..." She whispered and I already got my cues. I almost knew what she wanted to say but I wanted to hear it from her, just as much as I didn't want to know. I wanted her to confirm my assumptions though I wished it were false.

"My baby... is alright, hai na?" My voice cracked and Navya closed her eyes. My baby... Ayyappa. I began to cry. I screamed.

"Navya... Main tumse kuch puch rahi hun. Tell me." I wanted to hear the truth. I wanted to face it. And this time, I was alone. I had to fight for myself, all alone.

"Nandini, I am sorry." She muttered and kissed my forehead. She smiled faintly and walked out of the room. That was it for me. Navya had walked out of my life too, or I thought she did. I screamed and cried. It hurt emotionally more than physically. Manik... My subconscious yelled. But how could I face him? He was responsible for it. He killed my baby.

I stood with great difficulty. I walked into the washroom. I stood under the shower. God knew for how long I stood there. All I could think of, was the previous day. First, Uncle. Then, me. Now my baby. It hurt real bad. He was the only one I had.

"Nandini..." I heard a call and the bathroom door burst open. It was him. Manik. He stood in front of me. I stared at him. I wanted to cry and hit him hard for doing this to me. My life turned upside down in a matter of minutes. I didn't want to believe anything. I wanted everything to be a nightmare. I wanted my baby back. And he was responsible for my baby's death.

"Nandini, kuch bolo. Please?" He was on the verge of crying and I was already in tears. It hurt real bad. Why always me? Everyone I love, leaves. Why? I stood before him, as strong as a statue. I didn't move. I didn't speak. Amidst the turmoil between my heart and mind, I stood quiet, facing him. He raised his hand to touch me and I slapped him hard. The sound echoed in the room. He cupped his cheek to soothe the pain.

"I hate you." I screamed into his face and walked out of the door. He deserved more than a slap but it hurt me to hurt him. No matter what he did to me, I could never hurt him the way he hurt me. I loved him as much as I hated him. I began to wail. I fell to the floor, against the bed and brought my knees against my chest. I wrapped my arms around them and cried.

Manik stepped out of the bathroom. His eyes were bloodshot either from crying, or from anger. He sat beside me and grabbed me into his arms and I cried into his chest. He wasn't angry with that slap I gave him. He deserved more, though.

"Pyaar karte ho mujhse?" I asked from under his chin, with teary eyes.

"Bahut." He confessed purely and I shrugged myself out of his grip. I scooted away far from him and began to tremble because of he sudden loss of warmth.