02 | knight in shining beanie

     "NOW, I've come to realize that Google isn't technically a conventional workplace," Chetty started the seminar the moment a new batch of interns piled in and took their seats. "Having said that, we have rules. I'm going to ask you a series of questions, you're going to raise the green paddle to indicate yes and the red paddle to indicate no. Let's begin."

The screen transitioned on to a new slide, displaying the question in big bold letters. HAVING A BEER WITH YOUR BOSS.

Bree immediately held up her red paddle along with everyone else, her legs lazily parted underneath her table. She could almost hear her mother yelling at her for being so unladylike when she refused to cross her legs.

Everyone raised their paddles the way they were supposed to, except the two males sitting at the very front of the room. The back of their paddles displayed the red side, which clearly meant the words facing forward had a YES written all over it.

"Some of you—" Chetty trailed off, his eyes darting towards both of them. "are clearly under the age of twenty-one."

"Some of us aren't under twenty-one, so..." One of the men trailed off with an oblivious smile. "If you want to grab a cold one with me, I'd be happy to do that with you."

"I will not be grabbing a cold one with you," Chetty replied pointedly.

Flustered, the brunette tried to backtrack, blurting out a lame apology as Chetty exhaled sharply through his teeth, giving a dismissive wave. DATING A FELLOW INTERN, the next slide said.

Bree held out her red paddle and so did everyone else except the same pair of idiots from earlier.

This gave Chetty the queue to start a short lecture strictly revolving around this rule ("This is Google, not Match.com," he huffed).

"Miss Draven?"

Bree's eyes reluctantly snapped away from the window, realizing a second too late that she wasn't paying attention.

"Sir?" she breathed out after a moment, hoping he hadn't noticed as she tried to slowly sit up and look as attentive as possible.