03 | team lyle

     "WELCOME TO DAY TWO."

The middle-aged man cleared his throat as the interns piled into the auditorium and occupy the remaining bleachers.

"I am Sid, eighth year Googler. You guys are new Googlers, thus you're Nooglers."

A chorus of chuckles followed shortly after and Sid nodded proudly, a grin now stretching over his face.

"Now, this place is all about community and collaboration, so you'll be working in teams from here on out and—"

 "—you have five minutes. Pick your teams," was all Chetty had said once he yanked the microphone from Sid's hand.

As if an alarm had been suddenly switched on, the whole room went completely berserk. Interns sprang up from their seats almost instantly and began to run past Bree left and right, trying to grab whichever team they could get.

Bree tried to sprint down the stairs herself, but was pushed back and forth with the moving current of interns trying to move in both directions all at once. She continuously apologized to everyone she had bumped into until a pair of hands stabled her shoulders, making her let out a surprised yelp.

Stuart yanked her aside and scanned the rowdy crowd before his eyes eventually trailed back down to her, the usual quirk to his lips. "You okay there?"

Bree opened her mouth to bite back like she always did, but decided against it once she saw not a single hint of humor came from Stuart's question for once, if the way his eyebrows were furrowed was anything to go by.

"Peachy," she replied instead.

He let her go once she quietly pointed out that he still had his hand linked to hers. "Sorry," he mumbled quickly before turning away.

His hand was quite large compared to hers, apparently.

Bree shifted, biting down her bottom lip as if she was in deep contemplation before she said, very slowly, "Thanks."

Stuart raised an eyebrow at this and scanned her face to check if she was making fun of him. After a good second, he turned away and gave an indifferent shrug in response.