Chapter 22: The Known Girl

I end up having a lot of fun with the boys, again, and get really distracted about what time it is. It's almost midnight when I finally see the time, and I almost have a heart attack because I have Mr. Morley's class bright and early the next morning. We'd gotten so wrapped up in eating pizza, playing video games, watching a movie, and just talking. Niall had showed up shortly after we started eating, and I'll be honest, he looked pretty upset. But, he quickly brightened up after eating some pizza and royally whooping my ass at a few rounds of video games. No one brought up what happened with Jane, and I'm glad they didn't. It would've ruined the good mood he built up, and I figure the boys will talk with him privately. I like to think that I'm friends with the boys, but I don't need to be a part of their bro talks.

So, after an incredibly long night with the boys, Louis finally takes me back to my dorm. I find Jane asleep on her bed with her laptop still open. Smiling, I walk over to shut it because she must have fallen asleep while Skyping Luke. But, when I move to close it, I hear someone protesting. I jump and yelp, turning the laptop to see a blond boy's face on the screen.

“Luke?” I ask, tilting my head to the side.

The boy chuckles nervously and says with a Southern twang, “Yeah, that's me. You must be Jane's roommate, Piper.”

Nodding, I glance back at Jane. “She fall asleep during the call?”

“Yeah.” He smiles, his brown eyes sparkling as he looks at her. “I knew she would 'cause it's so late over there. I told her she could go, but she didn't wanna.”

He has a far away look in his eyes, and I grin at how smitten this boy is for Jane.

“So, you decided to watch her sleep?” I ask, and he blinks and blushes when he meets my eyes again.

“It wasn't my plan,” he says guiltily. “I just, I didn't know if she would wake up again, and then I'd be gone, and I didn't know what she would think if I was gone.”

I smirk at him as he lets out a sigh and rubs his face with his hands.

“It's only a little after four here, so it's not like I’m losin' any sleep,” he grumbles.

“Well, I assure you that she's out like a light, and it's safe to sign off,” I tell him.

“Alright.” He sighs again but happily then smiles gratefully at me. “Nice meeting you Piper. Tell Jane I lo-”

A suspicious coughing fit suddenly hits Luke, and he finishes with, “Tell her goodnight from me.”

Shaking my head while I smirk at him, I say, “Will do, and nice meeting you too.”

He smiles one last time at me before he breaks the connection, and I'm left staring at a blank screen. I smile and try to get my brain to think normally, but it's so late. I am so tired that all I can do is shut down Jane's computer and go to bed.

***

Jane is still sleeping while I get ready for class and when I finally leave, so I don't get to talk to her about finding Luke last night. I'll tell her later though. Mr. Morley has given us so much time to work on our project in class, but Roxanne and I haven't made nearly as much progress as the other students. Hopefully today though, I'll be able to sway her into making a short video to go along with what we already have. It's getting steadily colder outside, and I miss being able to wear shorts. The weather is so unpredictable back home that I could still be wearing shorts in November. I settle for my simple jeans and hoodie today though because I am dead tired from being out so late and having to wake up early.