Chapter 28: The Blushing Girl

Sunday fades away too quickly for my liking. It's as though I woke up, blinked, and the entire day passed. I really don't want to go to classes tomorrow. It isn't like I hate my classes or dread going, but I'm always a lazy bum on the weekends. Mondays are the worst.

Jane was out and about today, doing who knows what, while I loafed inside, reading all day. Regardless, it was a good day, definitely not wasted. I can never see a day spent reading as a day wasted. Reading is too precious to think of as a waste. Sadly though, I'm running out of books to read. Mom and Dad had only been able to send so many, and I am going through them like a wildfire. Sighing, I close another book that I finished and watch as Jane comes tumbling into the room.

“Hey!” she says breathlessly, dragging shopping bags behind her.

“Hey.” I raise an eyebrow as I inspect the several bags that she has.

“Oh, shut up. I know you're thinkin' of a million stupid things to say to me,” she stops me before I even start. “I just thought that since I won't be here much longer that I had to do some shoppin'!”

I smile weakly. Jane is made to travel the globe and see everything that it has to offer. Meanwhile, I feel more and more at home here in London. I'll stay here for my schooling, but she will always be somewhere else. I don't know what I will do without my perky roommate. The space will sound too quiet and feel too empty. There will be no distractions.

“I'm goin' home for Thanksgiving!” Jane grins.

“Oh congratulations, but don't you still have classes? I mean, it's not exactly a British holiday.”

I'm happy that Jane is going to get to see her family, but it only reminds me that I don't get to see my own.

“Yeah, but I’m just skippin' 'em.” She waves me off, setting her bags at the foot of her bed, then adds so quickly and quietly that I almost miss it, “Luke will be home too.”

“What?” I ask, my eyes nearly popping out of my head.

Jane doesn't answer, but she is bobbling her head, biting her lip, and giggling like an idiot with fiery red cheeks.

“You've got to be shitting me!” I gasp, taking a whack at her with my pillow.

She isn't even upset, her grin grows as she says proudly, “He said he misses me and really wants to see me.”

“Jane you better hold that boy close and never let him go again,” I tell her softly, smiling faintly and shaking my head.

“I know,” she says sheepishly. “I'm gonna try and talk to him about what happened and see what we can do about it and maybe we can get back together, but I don't know, I mean it's a lot of distance and-”

“Don't spend so much time worrying before you get there,” I say gently with a smile.

She sighs cheerfully. “Thanks. I tend to do that. But what are ya doin' for Thanksgivin'? Just stayin' here?”

“Actually, Louis invited me to his family's for the holiday,” I mumble.

“God, that boy adores you.” Jane shakes her head in disbelief. “Please make a move with him while you're with him for the holiday. I’m steppin' up with Luke, so you need to step up with Louis.”

I blush furiously. “I-If there's a good time, maybe I will.”

“That's the spirit!” Jane beams.

“Whatever.” I roll my eyes.

“One day my OTP will be together,” Jane whispers.

“Woah, woah, woah. OTP? Really?” My eyebrows are probably joining my hairline, but I don't mind. “OTPs are not meant for a girl like me. OTPs are reserved for TV shows, movies, bromances, or cute couples in general, but not me and Louis.”